Coolant in cylinder.....

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by AllGoNoShow, Aug 16, 2019.

1. AllGoNoShow

AllGoNoShow Veteran Member

Mike- yes, many years ago. I pulled it all apart and it sits in pieces in my shed and my parents house! Looking back at it I can't believe I got it for $700 bucks with all the pristine sheet metal on it (probably should have finished it instead of my 81) Been starting a family and am finally in a good spot to start working on it again- going to combine them both together. there's a very good chance I may be sending my 81 to B&C auto restoration in Wayne county to do all the bodywork/roll bar, etc. I got more money then time at this point of my life and am tired of staring at a car in my garage for the past 10 years! (Owned it now for 20)

On a more related note to this thread, the machine shop couldn't get the head to weld up so I'm buying a new pair. New question- I have a solid Flat tappet comp cam (230/236 duration- .501 lift) - can I use the stock springs in the New AFRs with this solid cam? Opening pressure is 140lbs and at .500 lift will be about 320lbs. These springs are advertised as "hydraulic roller" springs but it is my understanding that solid flat tappets tolerate/want more pressure then hydraulic flat tappets and these should work (seem maybe to be 5-10lbs high on the initial seat pressure but not sure if I should be worried about That- cam is already broken in and has a few thousand miles on it).

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Have you priced buying the off-shelf ready to run versions vs bare castings to let the machine shop guy set them up? You'll often get better overall performance having them set up for your specific combination.

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

I have a set of ATK 195s, made by Profiler in USA, machined by ATK in USA with stock exhaust port location. I didn't pay attention to flow numbers compared to AFR, but these heads are great quality and work really well on my 383 with a lumpy hydraulic roller.
    I only mention this as they are cheaper than AFR and if AFR is having quality issues, it may be a good alternative.

4. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Ask comp for the valve spring specs for that cam. If you have the cam card it will be listed.

5. AllGoNoShow

AllGoNoShow Veteran Member

Just dug out the cam card- they want the comp 986s which are 132lbs open and 293 @ .500 lift ....so the ones with the heads are 140lb open and 320 @.500. Not sure if the extra 8lbs on the seat and 27lbs on the open matters.

6. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Hmm. It will be harder on the cam lobes. I would call them and see what the comp tech line tells you

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can you just shorten the push rods?

8. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

You could also adjust the installed height potentially and reduce the spring rate.

9. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nick, I'm glad you got it instead of it being sent to the crusher.

Fwiw, Randy is still in business doing hot rod stuff, if you'd like his shop name and contact information, send me a PM and I'll give it to you.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  10. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

as mentioned before aluminum will have adverse affect more than cast iron because of material ,coolant selection and proper rotational flushing for corrosion inhibitors is more critical than original 70's era parts that includes aluminum radiators and other coolant related parts.