Coolant leak between head and block

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by scrap--metal, Jul 7, 2019.

1. scrap--metal

scrap--metal Member

What do you guys think? Based on the picture below, I don't think it's coming up from one of the head bolts.

Last weekend I got my 350 started and broke in the cam. That went well, but after running it I noticed a drip on the block near the dip stick tube. I wiped it up thinking it was oil coming from the dipstick tube. I retorqued the head bolts on the new aluminum heads to 65 ft-lbs like the instructions suggest, and I pounded the dipstick tube in just a little farther thinking that would fix my oil leak. Now I ran the engine again this weekend to work on the timing, and we noticed that it's not oil coming from the dipstick tube but coolant weeping from the head very near the dipstick tube. I'm not sure if it leaks while the engine is running, but it drips onto the headers once every minute or so while it's cooling down. It does not leak while off/cold.

What do you guys suggest? Should I retorque all the head bolts to 70 ft-lbs or 75 ft-lbs and see if that seals it up before trying a new head gasket? Is there any chance it could seal itself up with a little more run time?

The heads are Edelbrock E-streets #5073 and the head gaskets I used are Edelbrock (Fel-Pro) #7310. Gasket was installed dry per the instructions.

head leak.jpg

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Is there any coolant getting into the oil by chance?

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I would check the head gasket. I use a Fel Pro "O" ringed head gasket (My engine is supercharged with high boost level).Make sure the cylinder and the block are level . Otherwise thy can have seepage .

4. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

I think it is the head gasket and before tearing into it i would try a pkg of the AC Delco cooling system sealing tabs #12378255 (also known as Cadillac pills). Saved me once on my wifes Buick 3100 with a similar external leak.

Peck likes this.
  5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't those head bolts go into water jackets? Any chance the water is weeping there?

6. scrap--metal

scrap--metal Member

I changed the break in oil yesterday after about an hour of run time and it looked fine. Definitely no sign of coolant in the oil.

The head bolts do go into water jackets, but I used Permatex #2 on the threads, so I don't think the leak is coming from the head bolts. If it were, I think it would be leaking out closer to the head bolt and not the water jacket between the head bolts.

7. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

These do work. May not be what you want to do but it will solve the leak. (Solved weeping head studs on an engine I had)

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Whenever I dump old coolant including the block I always crush 1 tablet into the rad when I refill. It will actually fill in imperfections in the castings and seal them. Caddies got 2 on the assembly line.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Well tough call do the magic stop leak or find out the real reason why you have a leak. Personally over time never seen a head leak end up well. Not sure why Caddies are coming up as far as i know you don't have an engine like that. on the contrast just the opposite.

10. czizza

czizza Veteran Member