Cost of an LS swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 57Plymouth, Jun 12, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If you got everything for $400, I don't see any reason why you would bust $2k. You carb intake set up is what will hit your budget

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I cannot image an install for $1600 that includes a full new fuel system, headers, mounts etc., unless you score quality used parts. I also find most people ignore the nickle & dime stuff when they say how much they spent. Fittings, making gauges work, whatever.

Double J likes this.
  3. badazz81z28

These swaps do nickel and dime you if you don't buy a complete swap.
    Adapter brackets on eBay are cheap...why buy $$$ Holley brackets http://m.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Conversion-Motor-Mount-Adapter-Plates-LS6-5-3-6-0-/252990246690?hash=item3ae764cf22:g:Uu4AAOSwGvhT29bU&_trkparms=pageci%3A82d0d3ab-51df-11e7-b745-74dbd1809ab4%7Cparentrq%3Aac603cab15c0a9c9768e2465fffef58d%7Ciid%3A3

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Oil-Pan-Fits-Chevrolet-Camaro-2002-98-Fits-Pontiac-Firebird-20-/172530381491?fits=Year:2002|Model:Camaro&hash=item282b9cb2b3:g:y9YAAOSwOgdYohnp&_trkparms=pageci%3A66c760ee-51cc-11e7-8da5-74dbd1801373%7Cparentrq%3Aabe3006f15c0a99be1403e04ffff2770%7Ciid%3A4 Use exhaust manifold instead of $600 headers,

The gauges can be cheap too...you don't need high dollar Autometer. Again people generally buy that stuff because the quality is better, but on budgets it can be done without it.

There's all sorts of pump and tank options. Again you don't have to get a $1800 Rick's tank like I have

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

agreed. but still you aren't doing it for $1600 unless it s a real cobble job or really lucky with used parts, which can happen.

5. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Thanks for the oil pan link. Any help like that is GREATLY appreciated.

The car already has Autometer Phantom gauges so I'm not worried about the dash. I've seen some engine brackets pretty cheap on ebay. I have zero problems running manifolds at first unless there are cheap full length headers. Used parts are fine for me, since this ENTIRE CAR was built out of leftover parts from other projects with the exception of the wheels, springs and a/c. It's already a craigslist / ebay / friends spare junk special. It really is a $5K car like it is now including the car, paint, interior, current engine and trans, etc.

Thanks for the help guys. I can use all the suggestions I can get to keep the low buck running. The budget isn't hard and fast, but I don't feel the need to buy a new fuel tank when I can adapt a fuel pump and a new fuel line. I'm really thinking it would cost less to hunt down a used carb intake and an ignition controller than to make the stock injection work. Especially with that stupid TV cable on the 700r4.

BonzoHansen likes this.
  6. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

7. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

an LS swap really isn't cool anymore..that ship has sailed

perkalator likes this.
  8. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

I started this response yesterday but never sent it....I think you are on the right track!

My $0.02..

A 5.3 is a great engine. My DD truck has 165k, runs awesome. OP knows LS stuff is pricey...we all do. 5.3's don't fit well in 2nd gen without new/different intake ($) and new accessories (more $). I have yet to see a truck intake fit under the hoods...and as soon as you swap out to the LS1 intake, accessories won't fit.

Personally, I'd look into a carb powered 5.3. I know someone here will scream " blah blah, carbs suck, if you are going through the trouble of a swap, FI is only way to go blah blah". Yeah, I love FI but since OP has a decent 700r4 , I'd keep it (non electronic, so I assume he has a properly working TV cable). The edelbrock intake for carbs run ~$6-700 if I recall. Going this route would eliminate need for pcm, wiring issues, tuning, etc. You'd still need fuel tank mod, oil pan, and headers/manifolds. I'd guess at least $3k.

9. badazz81z28

I have seen plenty of cars with the truck intake....there is still wiring with a carb. You need all of that to control ignition. A quality carb, intake and controller is $800-$1000. Carbs do suck, not from an ability to make power, but tuning, drivability, throttle response... I feel one of best benefits of the swap is the fuel injection. There's a reason new cars are not built with carbs anymore.

I'm not familiar with auto trans conversions, but that 700R4 complicates things.

10. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Carbs do suck and theyre not any cheaper than a standalone setup. My microsquirt standalone was less than $400 and works amazingly. I was going to go carb until i really crunched the numbers. Tuning is expensive but Ive done all my tuning myself it really is not hard at all. Seriously consider efi before deciding on carb. Carb will definately get you on the road faster.