Cost of an LS swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 57Plymouth, Jun 12, 2017.

1. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

For one I was Trying to build a reliable car that I could drive every day and so far almost 7000 miles and no problems... some like to spend a lot of money on like they say extra added parts like a ricks fuel tank and their car is still in the driveway Collecting dust....

I'm all for added parts but I don't need a glossy tank or super slick headers!

The Holley oil pan is about 330 and it works real well and it clears everything the 187 pan on eBay is a Firebird pan my car is a 69 so will it would probably hit anyways you can do a decent swap for 5000 maybe even for less depending on the ls engine you pick or parts you can match

2. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

As best as I can tell from the research I've done is that I will need a spacer and a flexplate that will adapt the LS to the 700r4. That should be all I need IF I use a carb. If I use fuel injection I will need to get a longer TV cable and adapt that to a cable driven throttle body as well. The 700r4 is in the car and working great now, and it does not use a computer at all.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

A carb is cheaper if its already on the car/shelf. :) I'd not carb an LS, but that's just me and i get why someone might.

LS tuning is not free.

4. 57Plymouth

I may have a few Holleys laying around.;) And a random Demon that I can't explain.

Does that ebay 4th gen pan hit a 2nd gen subframe? Anyone know?

5. 57Plymouth

Nevermind, the last thread says the 4th gen pan fits. My stupidity.

6. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I believe the fourth generation oil pan clears on a 70 to 81 car because the steering linkage is in the front

7. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

There is no mystique to efi tuning fwiw. Start with your timing table looking like an sbc, say 18 initial 28 all in at 3krpm. Go from there. Datalog fuel mix with your wideband and go from there! Anyone can do it! Add in all the drivability and enrichments as you go. Starting from 0 efi experience my car is running amazing after a couple days of tuning here and there. Dont let the tuning scare you.

perkalator likes this.
  8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The camaro and the firebird had the same drivetrain in the 4th gen. It was all Chevrolet.

You're right...too many people who haven't done a swap are so quick to give an expensive opinion. They focus on the $1800 fuel tanks, $800 intakes, $600 headers, $600 cam kits, $1000 harness and ecms...you name it. You don't have to get all that!!!
    Run the engine as is....it bolts right in with $25 adapter plates. Spends $800 on a fuel system and working the harness. Pay someone to delete VATS....you can do a 5.3 for not much at all. Doing a 4 speed is easy...when you start doing autos it will add a little bit of work and cost, but the engine alone is nothing to fret

9. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member