CPP C5 spindle question (CP30014)

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by jvle95, Jun 19, 2019.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

In a way you are doing exactly what I said. By using calipers and rotors that are already made for each other, a master suited for your application and a proportioning valve.
    I mostly asked because some people on here, like myself, create their own kits with parts, sometimes not Camaro, build upon that and waste their money because they haven't thought about these things.
    Even though I failed the first time out with my "kit" I still love all the gory details if how the stuff that works goes together.
    I tried to build a front kit for Wilwood 6 pot fronts with some parts that weren't a full kit but, because of clearance issues I wanted up wasting my money. I was able to save it by buying individual parts from Wilwood and completing it properly.
    How much does it wind up costing to do C5 or C6 brakes? After you buy calipers rotors and spindles are the ball joints interchangeable to attach it to your steering gear? Like I said I love all the Gory details

2. 79__Z28

79__Z28 Member

I bought the c5 brake kit from cpp. Came with spindles, c5 hubs, c5 rotors and pads and stock steering bolts up. Wish I would have just bought the spindles from them tho and then gone to the parts store to buy the rest because the parts they send r cheaper so if ended up already replacing the hubs but the kit is around 700 if I remember correctly. C5 rotors and pads are fairly cheap. The c6 zo6 rotors and pads r a little more spendy.

John Wright likes this.
  3. jvle95

jvle95 Veteran Member

I received the spindles and pretty happy with the purchase. Washed them up and painted them to prevent any rust. I have ordered the C7 hubs and waiting on those. Lower ball joints ready to install and waiting on Del A Lum bushings for lower control arms. I am going to source rotors and calipers from somewhere shortly. Thinking of going with C6 calipers but want to confirm they will fit behind my 17" Vintage Wheel V40 wheels. I know the C5's will fit and they are very similar.

4. 79__Z28

79__Z28 Member

If anything the c6 rotors look a little more low profile than the c5’s I think. But I haven’t compared them in person. I would have switched to these spindles just for the hubs, million times better than packing bearings and dust covers

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I followed 67lemanster's lead and purchased C5 calipers and abutments off Ebay from a C5 owner upgrading their track car. Used Kore3 C5 brackets and drilled out my spindles for the brackets. Turned down a set of 3rd gen camaro rotors to make hubs. Bought off the shelf C5 slip on rotors and brake pads. I then had to buy a set of 17" rims to fit over the calipers.

6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Nice! Beats a $1300 kit by a longshot.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIycO6jr6M4wIVAr3sCh2Ivw48EAQYASABEgJ1DPD_BwE

I wound up spending about $1000 and went through a lot of crap trying to make it right. Ended up with extra spindles, brackets, etc. that I will never get any money back on nor use.

Sorry to deviate from the OP's topic. I'm surprised the manufacturer does not have a datasheet with the track width for your application. They have articles about correcting deviations with a "narrow" setup they offer in one of the car mags on a Nova so, it seems to an issue they are aware of and are set to deal with.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Yup, this old method works. Today’s kits just make it so darn easy. I also went with KORE3 but bought their special hubs. When all said and done I had quite few hundred more into it then the CPP kit. Shaving down a 3rd gen rotor to be the hub is a pain (finding someone to do it) and the studs need to be swapped out as they will become too short. The Kore3 hub is expensive! It’s so hard to pass up the CPP kit especially for us simple-bolt on folks. It’s more affordable....and easier to install. Best of all, you can replace anything on the side of the road.

8. John Wright

Yeah, I can find any of the parts at an Autozone or Advance Auto to get me off the side of the road, should I have a bearing or brake issue. I forgot about the wheel studs, I drilled and knurled the hubs for 1/2" wheel studs. The C5 calipers float vs the Wilwood or Baer that are pinned in place and shimmed to center over the rotor, so pad/piston knock back isn't quite as bad with the factory C5 stuff.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I feel the pad knock back will be influenced more by hub movement than the caliper. Most performance calipers are fixed. A shaved down 3rd gen rotor will have significantly more in-out movement over an actual hub hence more pad knock back.

10. John Wright

The darn c-clips in my 12 bolt move a lot more than the front hubs do. That would be my source of knock back , if I ever have it. I have driven it pretty hard and haven't noticed it, but a short burst around a bunch of cones may induce it more than spirited driving on tight twisty roads.