CPP C5 spindle question (CP30014)

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by jvle95, Jun 19, 2019.

1. jvle95

jvle95 Veteran Member

Just a quick update. Received the C7 hubs and they fit perfectly in the CPP spindles. No wiring on the C7 hub plus larger bearing which are both positives in my eyes over the C5 hubs. I ordered the AC Delco hubs #20981829. The hubs are stamped SKF on the edge. The AC Delco hub cost is about $20 cheaper than the SKF so that was a plus as well. Hopefully the rest continues to go together just as well. I did put new Global West Del A Lum lower control bushings and I really like them. Very smooth and easy to install. Haven't decided on calipers yet.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    sandiego74 and dave@ztech like this.
  2. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

how does a 3rd gen saved down rotor/hub move more than a "actual" hub and adds to piston knock back?

3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can't see how it can as there is no excessive play in the bearing and the caliper can move with any flex in the rotor because it is not fixed like typical race calipers, but maybe he has had some experience with it that he can share? I haven't noticed any knock back issues so far and I beat on the ole gal pretty hard...granted, I don't have race slicks on the car just 200 TW street tires, so maybe he has experienced the knock back with the grippier rubber on the car.

4. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

piston knock back on the front can be traced back to just a few things, loose wheel bearings (serviceable or sealed hub), spindle pin deflection hub flange deflection, and the larger the rotor diameter the more amplified any movement at the fulcrum point (the wheel bearings) will be against the calipers.

Going back to my point earlier, larger rotors are not always better, unfortunately most enthusiasts do not get into the engineering part, nor are they shown or explained, when you talk brakes their focus stops at rotor diameter and number of pistons, whoever there is far more to it, the whole car's dynamics must be taken into account such as CG, anti-dive, brake bias, wheel offset, side scrub, scrub radius, KPI, tire all this affects how the load is transferred to the brake components and how they are designed and engineered to work together, this is why adopting the "bigger is better" approach seldom works.

sandiego74 likes this.
  5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

you guys need to go out for drinks, you will find that you both have the same mindset, to make our Camaro's better, and to enjoys them, I will buy the first round!!

BonzoHansen and sandiego74 like this.
  6. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I recommend that no one uses the C5 hubs provided in the CPP spindle kit. Almost lost a wheel at autocross a few events ago. Switched to the C7 hubs and they are far better, and the lack of ABS wiring to cover up is a plus.

dave@ztech likes this.