Crossroads of no return

Discussion in 'The Great State of Texas!' started by stephen miller, Jul 25, 2019.

1. stephen miller

stephen miller New Member

I have to make a decision on my 72 Camaro. I am going to have to rebuild the engine, trans while it is out, all have the same VIN number, including the car. I am thinking of going to a crate engine or should I should just punt and sell it and buy one already done. I am starting to get in over my head. I can do a few things myself but the majority will have to be outsourced. The body is great on the car and only surface rust on the undercarriage. The body is straight and no accidents. It is really a clean car.

I am thinking of selling it and buying a 1975-1979 Camaro with all the engine work done and starting over. The cosmetics and paint i can do.

Not sure how to value the car for sale. I have about 17 in the car currently. Does anyone have an idea of what the car is worth in the DFW area?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

# matching car can bring good money
    Is it a Z28, base. Need more info to get a value
    I haven't been keeping with prices but they fluctuate sometimes.
    More knowledgeable people will chime in but gonna need more info and pics are always welcomed!!

3. stephen miller

NO RS 350 2bl, automatic

4. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Specs and pics will help a lot in determining value.
    If at all possible, I would put the motor and tranny back in and try to get it running. You'll get more money for a running car in my opinion. Just do the minimum.

5. stephen miller

It runs no smoke and shifts fine. The tranny I was going to rebuild because the engine would be out of the car. Shifts smooth. In fact as soon as i get the parking brake cable replaced i will get it safety inspected. I will add pictures as soon as I get it back.

6. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Glad to hear it.
    That looks like a really nice car. I'd take a look at it if I wasn't about to finish my 73Z.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Why get rid of it? Only to buy a 75-79? If it runs fine why not keep on driving it? No smoke tranny shifts good. You would be money ahead if you kept it. # Match and all.

8. stephen miller

i guess i got a little concerned when i started checking into a rebuild and they started telling me everything i should do why the engine is out. paniced a little

9. Scrappy1980

Scrappy1980 New Member

Well, i decided to do the rebuild on the original 350. Wish me luck.