Crypto-currency at stake....SSD HD inaccessible

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by BamaZ28, Jul 31, 2019.

1. BamaZ28

BamaZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Team,

I have some crypto-currency stored in my personal digital wallet on an SSD. This SSD was the only HD in my system, which means it was the system drive...and not just for storage.

Unfortunately, I think I broke the mobo while trying to install dual video cards. Power isn't getting distributed across the mobo, and I've tried a brand new P/S.

I've tried using the cable to connect my SSD to my laptop via USB, but the laptop wants to format the SSD before able to access the files....which is obviously no Bueno as that would kill my crypto. I believe my last chance would be to order an exact replacement mobo, and put it all back together, crossing my fingers.

It's a few hundred dollars worth of crypto that fluctuates daily. Otherwise, I'd forget about it.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

BamaZ28

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I upgraded my boy's computer we used the old hard drive and Windows 10 was able to configured all the new stuff without an issue. The hard drive was the only original part we reused. If you're using 10 I think you'll be good.

BamaZ28 likes this.
  3. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I just had my AsRock mobo replaced along with a new Intel processor since we weren't sure if the old one had any issues. Replaced with exact same processor and slightly upgraded version of same mobo. Everything now works as it should and like nothing ever happened. Didn't even have to reinstall Windows 7. No data loss.

BamaZ28 likes this.
  4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do you think the SSD lost it's partition? I bought a partition recovery software several years ago that saved my azz.

BamaZ28 likes this.
  5. BamaZ28

BamaZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I really hope not. When I get back on my next R&R home, I will try swapping out for a new mobo, and report back.

Thanks for the input guys!

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  6. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I'm real dumb on this stuff but if W10 seems like it should be stored on the MS web site? I'm thinking everything goes to that for offsite cloud storage even if we don't want it too, so they can use it for their purposes - whatever that may be.

7. MoarThrottle

MoarThrottle Veteran Member

8. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Heck I would try swapping the SSD out with the one in the laptop to see.

9. MoarThrottle

MoarThrottle Veteran Member

That's what i recommended. Except you don't have to actually replace anything with anything else. You just tell the laptop bios to use the external drive (in this case the ssd drive from the old computer) as its main drive. You may or may not need a drive enclosure. But they can be found for approx $20 if needed. And now you have a portable drive to use anywhere you want. :) Either way, you'll need to get that drive set up for the new pc.
    Let me clarify a few things.
    How to boot into BIOS- https://store.hp.com/us/en/tech-takes/how-to-enter-bios-setup-windows-pcs

Since the computers aren't the same there will be driver errors. So you'll want to boot into safe mode with networking to avoid errors but Windows in theory should be able to retrieve all the correct drivers from the internet via windows updater. You may need to use an ethernet cable for internet for instance until you've got the wifi driver installed. Since you're on a pre-made laptop you should be able to get all your needed drivers that windows can't find on its own from the manufacturers website.
    How to get to safe mode- https://support.avira.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002870214-How-do-I-boot-Windows-10-in-Safe-Mode-

Once your all booted up and have the correct drivers so you can use your mouse,keyboard, network card, monitor, etc.. you can then safely locate your crypto and move it to safe location.

10. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Duh... I forgot about that method. I did have an issue where the BIOS didn't recognize USB in the past, and it appears to have scared me for life :p