Custom A/C control panel?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by ULTM8Z, Aug 26, 2018.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Anyone running one? I have a Classic Auto Air A/C system from around 2008-2009 time frame. Was curious to see about upgrading to a more modern looking setup.

I think their systems are all computerized now, so not sure their current custom panel would be compatible with my old "mechanical" setup. I'll probably call them and see this week.

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

it's just as I thought... their control panel isn't compatible with the older cable driven systems. shucks...

maybe I'll have to come up with something on my own I guess.

I dont have the heater hooked up and I never have to use the defrost... so should really just be fan speed and A/C on/off. I always run the AC on max no matter what car I'm in, so the mixing is unnecessary too (considering I have no heat either).

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

decided to make my own... kind where i'm headed in the picture

Figure I'll relocate the hazard as well as the interior light switch (since I never really touch my headlight switch anymore due to the auto turn on module).

also since I don't have my heater hooked up on the CAA system, no reason to have a mixer... the system is either on or off, so may as well just use a toggle switch.

printed the black background with a laser jet printer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  4. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Looks nice!

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Got it installed finally.... 20190118_141821[1].jpg 20190118_141803[1].jpg

mrfleet12 likes this.
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice fit! :D

Where did you get those switches?
    Are the indicator lights on the switches functional too?

What's in the vent housing to the left?

7. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

The rocker switches and face plates are from Rocker Switch Pros... I heard about them through pro-touring.com...

RockerSwitchPros.com

Basically you can design your own face plate, get different color LED's, etc. It's really cool and they're pretty inexpensive too.

Everything is functional, yeah. The top of the switch lights up with the headlights, and the bottom light enables when the circuit is activated. You have to get the DPDT version. The wiring isn't trivial, but it's not that bad if you have a little electrical know-how. The only bad part is that they're mostly obscured by the steering wheel when I'm driving, so I don't get to appreciate them illuminated when I'm driving at night... lol... But I like the feel of the switches and the knob compared to the prehistoric sliders on the factory panel..

I also replaced the side vents with circular ones from Nostalgia air. I wanted to update the look and match the circular ones I"m running on the upper dash. The grain is basically some drawer liner from the local hardware store that just happened to match the madrid grain nearly identically, and with a very light mist coat of semi-flat black it fits right in. I had to do some stuff behind the plate to attach it to the dash.

20190118_163407[1].jpg

20190118_163426[1].jpg

mrfleet12 likes this.