cutting clear coat question

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Scatter, May 29, 2015.

1. Scatter

Scatter Veteran Member

hey guys, so I painted my car A dark grey color (bc/cc) and I am trying to cut the clear coat flat. the problem is when I'm wet sanding it's pretty hard to see when I have it completely flat. I have to stop and dry the area wait for the water to evaporate and then I can see the dimples I have left. as you can imagine it's taking a long time to get it done. what I'm wondering is, is there anything I can use to help highlight the low spots? I tried spraying some sandable primer, but that just gums up the sandpaper fast. Y'all have any recommendations?

2. Mike Bozung

Mike Bozung Veteran Member

Please don't spray any primer from now on. All you need is a 2" X 4" rubber squeegee ( on line at "Auto Body toolmart) It will take that water film right off for you. The most important thing with wet sanding is to use CLEAN water though out the whole process. I use a spray bottle with clean water and spray it on the area I'm sanding constantly. I also have a bucket of clean water that I have a clean terry cloth rag in to wipe off the sludge. You'll also need a soft sanding block ( about 2" X 6" ) to wrap the sand paper in. Try to sand in a criss cross motion rather then straight back & forth. I can tell you one thing. To do it right will take LOTS of time. Don't stop until it's right.
    Good luck.
    Mike

3. kustom77

kustom77 Veteran Member

There is no special product that I'm aware of.. Cutting clear is a slow time consuming process. The above poster has great advise that I will second.

4. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

^^^spot on.

5. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

To dry faster I use a small squeegee or a somewhat soft rubber block and loads of white paper towels. There really are no shortcuts to this process. As mentioned super important to keep surface flooded with water. Paper will cut better, not abrade the paint and last longer.

6. Scatter

Scatter Veteran Member

I appreciate the advice, & I basically have the same set up with a bucket and a bottle of clean water. I even use a squeegee, but it might be just worn out its not removing enough water......that's gotta be it.

Off to grab a couple new ones....thanks!

7. Scott_H

Scott_H Veteran Member

8. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I was doing my first run at sanding I would take my sweet time and squegee off fairly frequently to see what my progress was. I'd rather take more time so I can remove as little clear as possible. Once the peel, trash, etc is removed then I know I can stop and move on to the next grits.

9. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

The sanding block that you are using, hopefully, is all the squeegee you should ever need. Swipe it back and forth and dry with a chamois. You still have to wait OR you can blow it dry with air if you want. I suppose you could sand until you believe it is good enough knowing that there may be a spot or two you will have to come back and hit again. Wet sanding is laborious and takes a lot of time.

10. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

add a couple drops of soap (dish soap works fine) to your sanding water-it helps keep the sandpaper from loading up , making the sanding process easier