cutting gas tanks

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by BC's71', Mar 6, 2006.

1. BC's71'

BC's71' Veteran Member

#1. To retrofit a 3rd gen fuel sender with a slosh baffle in the second gen gas tank, how many of you have cut open a USED tank and had it re-welded shut?
    Or did you chicken out :crazy: and buy a brand new tank to cut apart and re-weld??

#2. If you bought a new tank, then where is the cheapest place to pick up a new tank? I see Classic Industries has a $200 stock tank....
    I was hoping for something more cost-effective.

2. 1st and goal

1st and goal Veteran Member

I believe NPD has fuel tanks for a cheaper price ($179 comes to mind) but I do not have a catalog at work.

When I do stuff an LSX into my 73 Z I am going to buy a new tank, not to chicken out but just to make sure that my new fuel system / motor doesn't see any 33 year old junk besides I'll add the tank to the pile of stock stuff that I'm going to keep incase I want to go back to stock at some point in the future.

Marc

3. gregh

gregh Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

There is a very fine line between chickening out & being smart enough to not cut or weld on a used gas tank.
    I stay on the far side of that line.
    Unless you are properly setup to boil a tank & then purge it with a inert gas, cutting or welding on it is suicidal.
    I'm sure lot's of people have done it & had no problems but there are also lots of people who have fallen out of an airplane without a parachute & survived.

I don't think a $200 gas tank is worth the risk, buy new or take it to a shop that's properly equipped.

4. slow80sc

slow80sc Veteran Member

Thats a very good question.
    I was considering going the same route whenever I switch over to fuel injection.
    So I guess it isn't a drop-in deal?
    I'm going to have my tank boiled clean and blasted before I consider putting a cutter to it.

5. ligtag

ligtag New Member

You should be able to buy a new tank from any of the discount auto parts stores for only about $125.00. Then cut away that's what I did.

6. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

got mine from eBay for about $130+ shipping

7. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm one of the ones that cut/welded and lived. Not a big deal, wash the tank out with dish soap and water, stuck a hose from the exaust side of my shop vac into the sending unit hole and let it blow out the vent/filler holes for a couple hours. It was very clean, and quite safe.

Get the gas tank kit from por15 and use it. Saves finding out how porus my crappy welding is.

8. LS1 1971

LS1 1971 Veteran Member

Take it to your local radiator shop. They can flush it out so you can cut on it. I had to resolder my gas filler neck back in my 69 Firebird and had this done for about $30. Still cheaper than a new tank.

9. BC's71'

BC's71' Veteran Member

Thanks, guys. Lots of good ideas and experiences, which was what I was looking for.
    The local auto parts store might have gas tanks for about $130 or so, I didn't even think of that. I think I have a coupon for $10 off at one of those stores.....

10. My73LT

My73LT Veteran Member

Another step in the process is to put it over the BBQ for an hour or two after the wash out. Evaporates the water and makes sure any fumes are totally gone.