cutting gas tanks

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by BC's71', Mar 6, 2006.

1. OldSchoolFormula

OldSchoolFormula Veteran Member

My buddy started cutting his tank while it was still full of water using air tools. Once it was open it was a lot easier to air out.

2. patgizz

patgizz Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

advance auto has them for $182 with filler neck(or $184 without LOL)

3. CanadaGreg

CanadaGreg Veteran Member

I've gotten quotes around 220-230 for a new tank up here from the auto parts places (parts source, napa). That's canadian, but it's in line with what you guys are paying.

Since no one has voiced it yet, I'm looking very seriously at a surge tank setup for my EFI conversion (on my current engine). Bascially you just install a 1 liter reserve tank at the front of the car with the pump in there. Now, I'm not sure how useful that is to you LSx guys, since you won't have a mechanical pump anymore. But for the conversion guys like me it doesn't look too bad. The mechanical pump fills the surge tank (with return line to tank) and then you have a high pressure circuit from there on like a normal system. I haven't decided for sure yet. But for the extra fabricating there I won't have to touch my stock tank and for my situation, it actually makes things a bit simpler.

http://www.sdsefi.com/techsurge.htm

4. BC's71'

BC's71' Veteran Member

That's pretty neat, actually! Wonder how the noise issue is witha pump running in there....

The noise thing is what's stopping me from adding an external fuel pump and leaving stock tank/pickup alone. Plus, in-tank pumps generally run cooler and therefore have a longer lifespan (from what I've heard).

5. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

You can get a VERY quiet Bosch fuel pump through Accel that can either be mounted internal or external. It will flow enough to support 850 HP @ 45 PSI and is what I run. It's an excellent pump. It's what the Indy cars run.

6. DirtyScotty

DirtyScotty Veteran Member

Has anybody heard of this? Put a hose from the tailpipe of your car and put the other end of the hose into the sending unit hole and start the car. The exhaust apparently neutralizes the gas fumes. Sending the fumes out of the filler neck. This person said that you can cut and weld all you want. Ever heard of this? My friend who is stoned right now just told me this. No kidding. So I'm posting!:screwup:

7. gregh

gregh Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think your buddy has been sniffing to many exhaust pipes or some other kind of pipe.

The carbon monoxide & other vapors in the exhaust will displace the normal air in the tank so the risk of a gasoline vapor explosion is slightly reduced. But it's still a very foolish thing to weld on any enclosed container that once held explosive liquid unless you are a very well equipped shop & have done all the proper cleaning & venting procedures.

8. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

I am in the 'chicken out' group....bought a new tank from eBay and got it welded to suit my needs