Deal of the year

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Plant Engineer, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

I like it that all these people are buying T-56's and selling off their old goodies. Picked up this 700 mile 2.64 gear Richmond super T-10 with Hurst Competition Plus shifter and 32 spline yoke the other day for the princely sum of $300. Sending my Richmond S/S 5 speed in to get faceplated next month and this will be my backup transmission. Same length , same splines front and back.

[​IMG]

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

That's a great deal, I would have done the same and I have a T56 in my street car, but like you said it's good to have a backup.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Pretty good deal! Id buy one for that.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Heck of a good deal. You're getting serious when you face plate a transmission.

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Wow, that’s a deal for sure.

Are you getting Liberty’s to do the face plate work? if so you should be real happy with the results, they say 4-6 weeks turnaround, I was 7 weeks door to door. But only sent in the main cluster and driver trans case half, speeds things up.

I did not face plate 5th. Took a few days to get used to it, especially stop
    And go city driving, not for everyone, but the high rpm “no lift” Shifting is absolutely beautiful!!!

6. Plant Engineer

Yeah liberty is doing the work on 1-4. Ive used a G Force T101 before but it wasnt highway friendly so Im used to the concept. . The Richmond 5 speed is not real high RPM 1-2 shift friendly and the faceplating should make it perfect for my needs.

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Cool, and yep, I guess owning/using a G Force T101 in the past you know all about it, that's a serious trans.

Agree, It was my only complaint with the Richmond SS 5 spd, 1-2 started to grind, then 3-4 came after, no more issues now!!

8. Plant Engineer

The SS 5 speed is part of the transition from race to street. I drive it to work in city freeway traffic frequently . Getting a console built today and stereo installed. Upholstery in the back seat area ( Or what used to be a back seat area before I tubbed the car ) next week. I'm even going to de cam it a bit next month. Getting old sucks :).

Smokey15 likes this.
  9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

A quick update and FYI, while your getting the work done by Liberty, I would perhaps get the main-shaft Cryro’d along with the Thermal treatment and surface shot peening, it adds about 20-25% strength according to Liberty.

Although I got the thermal treatment and surface peening done, I either found the weak link, shaft was going south, or just a fluke, I cracked & bent the main shaft on the front 3-4 section, it necks down in this location.

I still love the way it shifts, and very happy with Liberty’s work, but was a little to aggressive with the full tilt no lifting I guess lol.

D2A155E2-7CA9-4213-B82F-AF8B1A0F5B63.jpeg

Plant Engineer likes this.
  10. Plant Engineer

[​IMG]

roadrace2 and dave@ztech like this.