Defective Intake Distributor Hole

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by rburrow87, Nov 10, 2019 at 7:48 PM.

1. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

I pulled a fairly fresh engine I built out of my other car to put in my 2nd gen, so I took the TPI setup off and installed an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap. Got the new oil pan and pump setup all buttoned up last night, filled it with oil this morning, and went to prime it to make sure the new pump was all good and I noticed the primer tool felt funny going in. After looking at it more, it wasn't going in all the way with the upper disc that sits in the intake.

This is how the primer tool wanted to sit in the intake. It could go left and right an equal amount from there, so this was its "natural" position:

IMG_20191110_115030.jpg

Anyone ever run into that before?

I tried installing the distributor that was in this engine with the TPI setup and it bound up hard around half way in because of the misalignment. Another thing to add to the list of things to check before bolting in the intake for good!

I'm returning the Edelbrock and trying a Weiand Speed Warrior 8501WND. I was not at all impressed with the casting quality on the inside of the Edelbrock. It was really the coolant/thermostat passage that looked atrocious, but still. I should have taken pictures of that. I also like that the Weiand has 3/8 and 1/2 NPT coolant ports so I don't have to run a reducer in one for the Sniper's 3/8 coolant temp sensor.

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

New stuff quality control I have seen it a few times.
    Friend got a new BBC tunnel-ram and the ports were way, off sent it back and got an old one with same part number off some internet sight and the ports lined up perfectly.
    Another thing to watch out for is the distributor pad height.
    Had an issue with afr 180 heads and the RPM intake on a 327" small journal the distributor was barely engaging the cam gear. if you drove easy you never notice an issue.
    First time you get on it you go from 38 total timing to 76 then it ran like crap.

I had to machine the pad on the distributor to get it to set deep enough to quit doing that.
    But I did not build the engine and it could be a cam issue Roller Comp.

Just something I check now.
    Sucks that you had to send it back.

But on a good note I ran the RPM airgap and I did not like it at all vs the RPM on my SBC with iron heads.
    Cool weather or first 10 minutes the thing ran like crap. I had to rejet and add much more idle fuel to make it remotely happy.
    Lots of tip in bog .
    I eventually pulled it off and stuck the regular RPM back on and the car felt like a new car no more coughing and puking from too cold of intake runners Too Lean.

I tried 2 carbs on it . 750 edelbrock and 750 double pumper both are well tuned. That intake just gave me fits.

Had the same lean issue a on a buddies LS carb deal that engine is even harder to make the intake runners warm.

The LS runs 10x better now I ported his heads and roughed up the intake runners and swapped in a cam.
    Was able to remove a lot of jet after the cam and porting.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I'm sure it will just get scrapped, but if you had access to a Bridgeport mill it would be an easy chore to bore it out, press in a sleeve and re-machine the hole in position. Probably not worth it to pay someone but if you had the mill it would get you an otherwise good intake.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just wondering if that's a fake Eddy product? You can see where the bore is not centered.

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Don't get me going on how bad Edelbroke manifolds are. I went round and round with them on a 409 intake that was mis-machined and finally got them to pay for the remachine on it. I have a dual quad Air Gap that leaks oil at the bottom of the intake ports after a good rebuild on a 350. I thought I screwed it up the thing smoked oil so bad, swapped to another intake problem solved. Their carbs are the same way, run good today and crap tomorrow. It's too bad as Edelbroke used to be a reliable company years ago.

jeff swisher likes this.
  6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Now Eddy has China making their parts. Sad.

7. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

Are they really? Pretty disappointing if that's the case considering the big "Made in USA" tag on their stuff. I went with the RPM Air Gap at first because it was supposed to be the premium USA made one, and at a premium price.

Sucks to hear about the quality decline with the major players. I bought Hooker headers for the car I took this engine out of and I was not terribly impressed with how much I paid for them considering the tool marks all over them from the mandrel bending, how they hung a good 2-3" too low, and most annoying, how horribly they packaged them. Basically dumped each part in thin bags and threw it in a big box with a random strip of cardboard. I bought Hedman 66104's for the 2nd gen I'm setting this engine up for and they were wonderfully packed and protected in the box and look beautiful. Just hope they actually fit the chassis!

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

I have a set of Hedman 66104's on my 81. Perfect fit, no warping, ball flanges are really nice. Leak free all around and they hug the floor without hitting it.

jeff swisher likes this.
  9. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

Good to hear! Here's hoping I didn't end up with one of the few crappy ones like the intake

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you didn’t buy it from Ed and it says made in China on the bottom, then you have a knock off. If that’s the case, contact Ed so they can take action.