Defroster vent install

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by gpm6367, Sep 6, 2019.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member

Pal nut

Like this
    Pal Nut

https://www.grainger.com/product/34VA13?cm_mmc=Share:MOB_CopyToPasteboard-_-iPhone_IDPShare-_-34VA13

Maybe different size though

Real bit#% to get off or on with the windshield in place.

If looks are not critical I would consider removing or altering the existing pins and replace with screws that you can put regular nuts on. Even then it will be a pain to work that close to the windshield.
    Classic example of a design that was quick on the assembly line but the was not thought about later on to work on.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    gpm6367 and hubedobeedo like this.
  2. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

i took some pics of my 71 they were the same as 70.you might be able to use a shorty screw driver going to pia to do.the duct probably got broken when it was disassembled the pal nuts are a pain to get off ,i used a small blade screw driver and slowly got it expand open the blades as i will call them on the nut to loosen them.you do not want to try and pry the duct between the sheetmetal and duct because that is the easiest way to break it, the nut has to be really loose, and as stated you can get new nuts and i would assume new pins. i bought a used duct offline because mine was broke when i got the car luckily it came with hardware.

Attached Files:

3. hubedobeedo

the duct actually goes behind the sheetmetal,that little indent on sheetmetal is were the head of the pin would be
    a couple more pics i just stuck in place

Attached Files:

dave@ztech likes this.
  4. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

That’s a huge help. So 70 appears to be metal and have to slide that snap nut on from below. Awesome! Should be easy :)

First I have to figure out how to remove it with windshield in place. :(

5. gpm6367

No screws it’s one pin with snap nut from below.

Thanks to all the pictures are great!

6. gpm6367

Looks are everything!

7. gpm6367

132EC319-6A77-4994-A3FB-F3D5896FAFAD.jpeg A075BC1E-8E66-44E7-959D-F2BFBDC1102B.jpeg E445CE26-9F72-4457-9A91-81914919E389.jpeg 139E202C-757D-45ED-AFF8-19F6ED949C03.jpeg 2DCAFFBE-6134-4D52-8517-901577A49577.png Loads of fun. Did you know that when you’re contorting your arm up above the gauge cluster to get to the defrost vent if you drop your quarter inch ratchet it will literally disappear and take 20 minutes to find?

Anyway they’re out. As you can see the defroster vent was modified including gluing on a section so that the AC hose could attach. In addition they added two screws coming up from below which I hadn’t even noticed before. They were fun as two out of the four were stripped and needed pressure on the back of the screw at same time so I could thread them out.

How does AMK do it? How do they know, and have, the proper fasteners for just about every scenario? The heater control hardware is spot on and the defroster set has the correct metal pins with speed nuts.

I know that the new defroster vent will cover the two additional screw holes that they made and I am just concerned that they enlarged the middle hole where the pin goes. In any event if I can get the pin in there and the speed nut on the back I’m sure it will stay up there once bolted to the heater box.

Just bought that mint defroster vent off eBay. Has anyone ever reinstalled entire heater system? Should the heater box go on the Firewall first? I’m thinking I should mount the defrost vent first and then put the box up.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  8. hubedobeedo

i completely redid mine the boxes halves need to be installed first before plastic defrost duct if using original style y duct.make sure you use a sealer on both halves were the meet body same with heater motor,i used 3M product which is like what factory used part number 8578 black strip-calk. don't forget grounding fasteners

Attached Files:

gpm6367 likes this.
  9. gpm6367

Grounding fasteners?

I bought this for firewall side. Have u ever seen white?

F8737224-0C44-45DC-A1FD-91FA123C4DF1.jpeg A6BE55FF-875F-49BE-B043-1045EA524029.jpeg The inner box has a foam seal.

Did you use the washers?

10. hubedobeedo

most of the camaros i worked on or owned had black sealer as far as the washers i used a extra circle of the strip-calk. the grounding fastners are the star washers on mine they look like they are not steel? you can see in the one pic of outside box on top were used. do you have one of the reproduction factory assembly manuals it will detail how and were certain things go. i did use the strip-calk on inside also. both halves of box were sandblasted epoxied and painted with 2 stage urathane(factory did not paint inside box)