Denton/dfw area

Discussion in 'The Great State of Texas!' started by stephen miller, Jul 22, 2019.

1. stephen miller

stephen miller New Member

I am looking to get my new 72 RS painted and some interior work done. I was quoted a price of 15k to paint the car. Very little to none body work required. The guy does very good work. I am just wondering if this quote is high or right in the ball park. I have not had a car painted or repaired in long time so I am not sure what the going rate is. Anyone had good luck with a painter in the area?

Also, I need to interior work done on the car. Mostly the seats , they have seat covers on them now but the drivers seat is split. I want them to look like factory seats so I want to have the seats rebuild, (driver side) i almost hit the floor. Any know of a good shop to visit? I dont want anything special but want it to look it came from chevy.

Door panels- better to have them recovered, buy new ones, I see Speedone has one piece door panel for a 72. Any experiences would be helpful.

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Without seeing pics of the car, it's hard to say if 15,000 is accurate. Is your car primered and already sanded? Are you wanting them to lay new paint on top of old paint, etc. The prices in Dallas have climbed a LOT in the last 5-8 years, for a variety of reasons. (The economy here is very strong, we have a lot more transplants moving in which results in increased demand without a significant increase in vendors, etc). Basically, the shops are charging more now simply because they can.

There are a lot of automotive upholstery shops in the Carrollton/ Lewisville area. I'd recommend the one I am using, but he isnt taking any new work at the moment.

With Door Panels, you can get them on sale from Classic Industries or Ricks. Not sure what Speedzone is charging, but I would guess that it's more than a dedicated repop vendor.

3. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

213B6181-7EED-4BB7-B773-AB4FD4BCCF84.jpeg 76F891B6-0076-416B-9046-C9136094745D.jpeg I paid my guy $2K for my paint job no body work and I bought the paint which was close to 1K

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I'd think $15k is absurd. Keep looking. Most shops in this area are avoiding repaints though. Front end deer damage really pays the bills.

5. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd say shop around as well. I had a 1991 Camaro painted 2 years ago for $4,500. basecoat/clearcoat - I completely disassembled the exterior. ( lights, trim, door handles, window sweeps, spoilers, bumpers, etc. and took him a running driving vehicle. Took him about 4 months to get it done, but it was well worth the wait.

15k sounds high.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  6. stephen miller

stephen miller New Member

Thanks for everyone's input on this. My car will need very if any bodywork it is straight as an arrow. They will take down to metal and paint the door jabs etc etc. I am going to paint it the color is now and is the original color. The guys work looks fantastic but I want my car for a driver and not a show car that only goes on and off a trailer. So the job does not have to be show quality. I will keep looking for someone to paint it. Thanks all.

7. FS87LT

FS87LT New Member

There can be TWO dynamics at play here, other than the strong economy of the general DFW area. ONE is that many estimators know how valuable the cars have become on the open market, so that can give them some license to charge more. Especially for a "collectible muscle car". TWO is that they've had some experience with "picky customers" who want "the moon" from the shop. So, they'll put more money into the estimate to cover any re-dos and such that might happen. Plus the desire to have a "show car finish", possibly, which can mean a bit more under-paint prep than a normal paint job, in some cases. Even to fix some of the factory's production flaws (of which there can be many) to "make it perfect".

To me, to get past all of these things, it might be good to specify that you want "a factory OEM paint job". Like what a new Camaro (or other car) might have on it. To most shops, that puts a certain amount of specification into the mix. Things like spray booth cleanliness, basecoat/clearcoat paints, with enough surface prep to make those paints look as good as they can. This should be what they would deal with in a normal collision repair situation, as a matter of course. Plus it might make them feel a bit easier about "pickiness", but then new car customers can be that way anyway, too. And, of course, the newer paints have their own particular benefits with higher gloss and such, which means that what's underneath has to be "right" to start with.

On a repaint, there can be some unique problems with what the current finish might be AND what's under it (which can be surmised, but unknown until the actual sanding and prep starts to happen). Sometimes, an "arrow straight body" can really be paint on top of rusty/perforated metal covered with filler. So pricing for the basic painting functions and then adding for any "underneath" items might be the better way to go with the estimate/discussions. There can also be discussions about "taking it to bare metal or factory primer" rather than just a scuff sand and recoat, too. So have your mind "straight" before you start negotiations as to pricing!

Now, if you want a "period correct" acrylic lacquer paint job? Or an upgrade from that to single-stage acrylic enamel? You'll probably have to find a restoration-oriented shop for those things. AND a painter that might know how to use those products. I know the old DuPont Centauri paints have a modern brand equivalent, if it matters.

Still, though, using the "OEM production finish" orientation can cut through a lot of things in the perception of the shop of what the customer expects. It can take out the "show car finish" pricing, too. In reality, most of the current factory paints surpass what the "show car finishes" of old were, anyway. If you want to pay for more past that, your judgment call.

In the DFW area, plus possibly other parts of the state too, there are some shops outside of the metro area that are "restoration grade" shops in smaller towns nearby. Places where the overhead is lower and the pace is slower. In these cases, sensing business longevity can be important! What might appear to be a triving operation could be near the end due to mounting unpaid bills, too. But this can be an issue inside of the metro area too!

By observation, there is a huge amount of automotive repair talent in the DFW area! Finding it at a reasonable price can be the trick. Lots of high school and junior college vo-tech programs which supply the new car dealers with younger employees. Plus UTI and other trade schools that do similar.

Enjoy!
    FS87LT

8. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

I don't know this person but I've seen some of his videos and I'm thinking of looking at his shop/work. http://www.swrnc.com