Did '73 Z/28s all come with front chin spoilers?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Vicious, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Vicious

Vicious New Member

I've recently purchased a 1973 Z/28. The previous owner had the car since 1977. It is a #3 condition survivor car, that was re-painted in in 1978 to repair corrosion (new panels, fenders and doors), and used as a Sunday driver for the next 40 years.

It does not have a Chin Spoiler. When I asked the previous owner about it, he said he doesn't remember the car ever having one.

Is this possible?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Think the spoilers were an option

3. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Mine ain't got one:whine::whine::whine:

4. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Front and rear spoilers were optional equipment. RPO D80

5. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Check lower valance where the support braces would have bolted to. Maybe bolt/scratch marks?
    Wild rides & curbs did alot of them in.

6. JT71SS

JT71SS Veteran Member

Front spoiler and rear spoiler was part of the D80 option if your car has the rear spoiler and no front spoiler it must have been taking off at some point.

7. Vicious

Vicious New Member

The research I've done led me to believe the same thing- if it had a rear, it should have had a front spoiler. The car does have the rear spoiler.

This does bring up another question- has anyone ever seen a early Gen 2 RPO Z/28 without the spoilers?

8. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

You either got both or neither on the D80 option in 72-3 with the short spoiler discontinued at the end of the 71 model year . 71 the short was standard on the Z28 option with the tall spoiler in the rear and the chin spoiler as the d80 option . 70 was the short spoiler with the front and tall rear as a central office option ( no RPO ) ...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  9. Vicious

Vicious New Member

Awesome video, thank you for sharing.

The previous owner was the 2nd owner. He didn't purchase the car until 1977. It's possible the first owner could have knocked the chin spoiler off on a parking curb or something.

I will have to climb under there and see if they leaded the holes or replaced the lower valance- they leaded the new quarter panels into the roof supports back in '78. You can see strange lines, like someone wrote on piece of paper over where the leading is (learned this from the previous owner).

The car conveyed with a stack of receipts about 3 inches thick. I added them up on a spread sheet. The previous owner spent over $37K in maintenance over the past 40 years. He spent over $6k on upgraded frame rails and suspension in 1996. I doubt the car was even worth $6k back then.

He had the engine completely rebuilt to the 1970-1/2 LT1 specifications (solid lifters) in 1985 (95K miles).

He was an engineer, and didn't think about the cost to value, only that it needed to be done. I'm glad he did, because it is a very solid car. It has its share of dings and scratches, but no rust. The undercarriage is almost nicer than the body. He had it undercoated at least 3 times.

The car has only been driven 7K miles since 1987. It has 102K total miles, with 70K of those miles put on it before the 1978 restoration.

And it's one of the 4494 Close ratio Muncie 4spd cars.

twozs likes this.