DoD motors

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ErikNORCAL, Oct 11, 2019.

1. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

for the techs and owners that have experience with DoD engines:

- how long does the DoD part of the engine typically last?

- what are typical DoD failures and causes?

Asking because I am running a DoD 5.3 with the DOD oil towers blocked off. Cam swap is a long ways off.

Thanks

2. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Do have a link that shows what you are referring? I have a DOD 5.3 too and that sounds interesting

3. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

the lifters will fail before anything else

4. ErikNORCAL

Djorg - pretty sure there is a picture under the high tech section of when I started unless photobucket is holding it hostage. Basically take off the valley cover and you will see the oil towers on the DoD cylinders.

Camarochev- that is what I figured but curious if it’s more from use, cycling back and forth - so if they are disabled or “locked” in position, is there a greater chance of them lasting. Either way, how long do they typically last?

5. djorgensen3

Thanks for the help. I'll look it up.

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Really zero point in it unless you're going to change the cam and lifters too. The DoD can be programmed out if you just don't like the deactivation symptoms/feel. The failures that concern most people is lifter failure and catastrophic engine damage that leads to, and unless you remove them it's only a mater of time. The bitch is on the LS platform the heads have to come off to swap the lifters.

7. djorgensen3

Thanks for the info dude. I don't have any plans on doing it anyway in my daily driver but the thought is interesting and I figured I'd read up on it.

8. ErikNORCAL

Dave, the heads have to come off if someone was going to do a cam swap? Uuuuggggh.... awesome... more time and effort...

What are low and high mile range you have seen for failures?

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

We have a new Tahoe and I have been studying this some. The older models do have some failures, lifters and down into the cam I believe. Main problem seems to be the method of killing the same cylinders constantly. Usually a good bit over 100k miles. The newer motors do this on a rotating cylinder basis they say and pretty much eliminates the failures over a much longer life. They say. But the cylinder drop off and turn on is seamless, wouldn't know it without a readout, and MPG sure takes a jump when the V4 symbol shows.

ErikNORCAL likes this.
  10. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The way I understand it you can use one of two techniques to hold the lifters up and swap the cam conventionally, but for sure the heads come off for lifters. I have seen flat out abused motors with close to 200k and 4,000+ hours with all their original parts. I have also seen GM re-manufactured engines drop a lifter within 2,000 miles. I've sent several 2018s in for lifter failure with less than 50k. I think it's a not to spec parts supplier, but GM big wigs tell my bosses they are looking into it.........for the last 3 years.

The two techniques I have heard about for cam swaps are (no first hand experience or confirmation):

A: Pull the rocker arms and rotate the engine and the lifters will stay up in the plastic guides allowing the cam to be pulled and replaced.
    B: I was told there was a passage on each side of the cam to insert a dowel rod to hold the lifters up so the cam can be replaced.

Google would be your friend to confirm...........