Does anyone have experience over riding VATS?? 1992 RS LS SWAP

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by QUAKE_WARS, Jul 16, 2019.

1. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    I have a 1992 RS Im doing a LS swap on. I used complete PSI conversion harness/ECM swap setup. 6.0 T56..Car used to be a 305/ T5. I did not remove the factory harness or hack it. Its all just unplugged. Only thing I did reuse was the starter wires on same factory harness.

I cannot get the engine to turn over or get the starter to spin. New starter, so I know thats
    not the problem. I know everything is hooked up 100% correctly. Not my first rodeo. VATS
    is my buzz killer here. Any ideas of someone who dealt with this before would be GREAT!!!!
    Thanks

2. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lots of info on Thirdgen.org

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Runs through the ECM which you have replaced. Need to find the relay that controls the starter circuit and jumper it.

4. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    apparently its not where its suppose to be:(

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Do you have VATS shut off in the tune if you are using the new PCM to run the starter relay? I'm assuming you have the neutral safety connected or jumpered if it was an automatic car. You may need a clutch switch input if it was a manual car.

6. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Not sure if this helps you. Years ago, I bypassed the VATS by measuring the resistance in the key, then cutting an orange wire (under the dash) and soldering in a resistor with the same resistance as the key.

7. qn60e6

qn60e6 Veteran Member

Correct me if I am wrong vats will let you start the vehicle, but will shut engine off in a couple of seconds. Your signal to crank the engine is off somewhere. Try to jump the starter with key in run position to see if it will run and continue to idle. If it does that means you have a faulty start signal. If it cranks and won't start, then it could be your resistor in the key or vats in the ecm. Look up vats delete on youtube, maybe find some answers there. Hope that helps. I am doing a 4.8 swap into my 74, so I am going through the growing pains too.

8. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

On the 3rd gen VATS will not allow the vehicle to start, however, when VATS is the issue, it will flash the yellow "security" light on the dashboard.

--