does anyone know of a do it yourself soda blasting setup?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by primate, Jul 22, 2004.

1. primate

primate Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    LaPorte, Indiana
    the guy near me wants 700 bucks to soda blast my car... i have 3 cars that i wanna do , so this would get expensive after a while...i have plenty of airflow(2 compressors, total of 17.5 hp) so airflow would not be a problem(for a diyerselfer)
    any help/insight/witty quips/warnings would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
    thom

2. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    well for blasting in the open you use a pot that you fill with media (not that ive done this). i think you need to be outside though with a hood and protective clothes on.......prob some sort of air filter too.

3. primate

primate Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    LaPorte, Indiana
    when i saw them strip a car on rides, the dude soda blasted right out side without any protective gear on....in the open.... in california!

i think after the soda hits, it turns to powder, but i cannot confirm this...

[This message has been edited by primate (edited July 23, 2004).]

4. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    Well, remove the buckshot from a shotgun casing, and fill it with baking soda.
    Blamo! Paint gone.

5. 78LTCAM

78LTCAM Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Fort Worth,Texas USA
  6. primate

primate Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    LaPorte, Indiana
    sounds good, but then i have all these small holes in my car, then i need bondo, ya see the delemma...

it was worth a shot...(get it, shot? nevermind... [​IMG])

7. ReD-DaWg-OnE

ReD-DaWg-OnE Veteran Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Bakersfield, CA
    Where do you buy the media from?

8. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    I researched this and plastic media a while ago, and the only things I could find online indicated that it took a bit more effort than just swapping soda/plastic for sand in a DIY setup. They sounded like you would want a pressure blaster (you know, the kind that destroys sheetmetal if you use sand) and that it would need a metering valve to control the media instead of just running wide open with a dead man switch.

If anyone finds enough info or tries this let me know.

------------------
    Matt T
    70 Formula 400
    71 Camaro (in pieces)

9. RS_SS350

RS_SS350 Veteran Member

what about if you've already got a blasting cabinet? one of them cheap ones from harbor freight... can you just dump soda in there and go?

10. primate

primate Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    LaPorte, Indiana
    you can get the media from mcmaster carr, or i have seen places that sell it online.its not the store arm and hammer stuff, this media is larger, and sharper, from what i have read, not as refined.

i have a pressure pot, a syphon system, and a clast cabinet, so i think i will give it a try...i have a couple of bad panels that are getting s canned, so those will be my "subjects"

i saw some people just swapping media too... i was hoping that was all it required. i may have to get some carbide nozzles. we shall see.

the quest continues...