Door alignment question

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Canadian Barton, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

Actually more of a latching question. I have my doors aligned fairly well, just buttoning them up. When I adjust the latch post should it hold the door tight without weather stripping or does the weatherstripping put enough pressure on the door to hold it in place.

What I guess I'm saying is I am aligning the latch without weather stripping. When I close the door there is about a 1/2" movement in or out. Does the weather stripping make up for this movement or is my latch worn or am I missing something?

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Weather stripping will take up the slack.

3. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

On my 74 Spirit of America Nova, I had the issue of the door being able to be pushed in and made it a "pain" trying to sand across the gaps so I wire tied some paint sticks to the inner door and now when the door gets closed I have a solid feeling door with no in and out movement so I can go across the gaps and not drive myself nuts with the door moving.

[​IMG]

I also used some paint sticks to swipe across the gaps and this seemed to help me getting the panel to panel level right. I just cannot feel the differences like better bodymen probably can.

Looks like I made a video too of the door action with my rig of paint sticks:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12176...jwX-rzjL4K-rB4ufu-u2Zobo-uGxMWc-uKgeu5-ut8FXJ

[​IMG]

Drawing of uneven panel to panel levels and how a paint stick moved left to right from one panel to the other will show an issue:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim

Canadian Barton likes this.
  4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Why wouldn’t you wait to install the weatherstripping then make the adjustment. I’m sure you’ll be doing it twice if you do it now.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Some people like to line everything up good,then drill alignment holes,blow the car apart again,then paint it all.Re assembly is easier.

6. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

This is a really good idea Jim. I do have the final sanding to do and was wondering the best route. Thanks for all the detail.!

7. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Do you have the two rubber door bumpers in place?