Door glass gap

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by 80sz, Aug 27, 2019.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

What is the proper gap distance from b pillar to glass edge? 1/2”?

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Thanks for re-posting that. The passenger side window on my wife's '71 Z is giving me a hard time.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I have noticed, there is more of a gap with reproduction glass. I have about 1/4" on the passenger side with original glass and nearly a 1/2" on the driver with reproduction.

80sz likes this.
  5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

That’s my case, pass is 1/2” back and window is set back all the way on adjustment. Driver is 1/4” back. I’ll measure glass, that’s what I was thinking they are different length.

6. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

On behalf of every Second Gen Camaro owner ever, I would like to punch the Engineer who designed our windows. Getting those adjusted property is a PITA.

My repop glass was exactly the same measurements as my OEM glass.... but adjusting the different alignment guides was brutal. At a certain point I just had to say it was good enough.

80sz and Smokey15 like this.
  7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

I'm still having issues with the passenger side on wife's Z after working on it today.

8. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Ditto ^^^^^^
    My right side original window goes from 1/4" at the bottom to 1/2" at the top.
    My left side original window goes from 1/4" at the bottom to 5/8" at the top. The variations are due in part to the slight curvature of the glass but mostly due to adjustment.
    I've adjusted my windows several times using the window adjustment guide trying to get them to fit snug against the weatherstrip all around but still come up short, I currently have about a 1/4" gap in one section along the top edge of the glass with the windows rolled all the way up. When I think I have the window adjustments dialed in and re-install the door panels and top rail I discover a less than perfect alignment at the top or front edges of the glass. I suspect Part of the problem is when the top rail in re-installed it tends to throw the window back out of alignment in or out which in turn alters other aspects of the window adjustment. I hope you have better luck with your windows.