Door Jam Wire Loom P/Ns

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by NeoNeuro, Oct 20, 2015.

1. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Anyone know what the part numbers are for the door jam rubber accordian wire looms? I've found a few different sets out on the interwebs, but they look very different even though they all claim to be for 78-81 Camaro/Firebird. I don't want to get stuck with something that won't fit. Thanks.

2. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

I am in the same boat a few years later. Is there any info you would share about the boots and installation?

3. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

I got lucky and found some used ones in good shape on eBay. I didn't know for sure, but the guy said they were off a T/A, so I knew they should fit Camaros too and they do. They had some paint overspray and general grime, but they cleaned up nicely with a few different cleaners, some silicone, and a little elbow grease. Look almost new. I don't know what the part numbers are, but I'll look for the molding numbers and post those when I get home. Physically they are roughly 10" long. One end is larger than the other. Just guessing from memory, but I'd say the big end is around 2" and the small end is about 1 1/2". Plenty big enough for wires and reasonably sized connectors.
    Like pretty much all of them, my project has snowballed beyond belief, so I haven't installed them yet but I've eyeballed it several times. It looks like it would be quite a chore to install them with the car assembled. Popping them into the holes in the body and door would be tough. For easy access you really need the fenders off (or at least pulled away), but you don't need to remove the doors. You might be able to get by with just removing the inner fenders, but I think it would still be a pain. The hinges seem to be in the way from every angle but the front. You'll have to have the door panels off obviously. You might have to remove the kick panels as well to remove the plastic factory plugs (pushing them out from the inside). If you're installing power windows/door locks like I am, you'll probably have all that stuff off already.
    I'll post a follow-up with the molding numbers later tonight. Let me know if you need more info or pics.

4. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

My Car is assembled and I do not see any existing holes in the door or jamb. I do have the kicks removed - should reinspect the car? Is there a knock out? Pictures of the holes in the door and jamb would be very helpful.
    Thanks for your reply. I want to have it running this spring. Car not registered since 79!

5. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Wow! You're worse off than me. ;) I drove mine in the garage in 2004. It didn't budge again until I fired it up 2014. My "quick fix up and paint" has turned into a near total restoration. One thing leads to another and another and so on.
    Here are some pics for you. Two show the black plastic plugs in the driver's door and body. You can see how the fender would block access if it was installed.
    The other is one of the wire looms. I looked all over it for a molding number or any kind of identifying marks, but I couldn't find anything. There is definitely a left and right because they are molded differently. I haven't gotten far enough to tell which is which yet. Let me know if these pics don't work or help. First time I've uploaded any to the new site.
    CameraZOOM-20170220160253766[1].jpg CameraZOOM-20170220160246392[1].jpg CameraZOOM-20170220152137588[2].jpg