Door weather stripping...........

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by NYLongshot, May 14, 2019.

1. NYLongshot

NYLongshot New Member

Hi guys,
    Just about ready to have my 78 Camaro LT go into paint and Im looking for the best place to get door and roof rail weather stripping that actually fit correctly and perform. I currently have a pair of older OER brand on the car now that are only a cpl years old but they really never broke in and the doors close hard.
    Has anyone had luck with steel rubber.....?

Thanx a bunch

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

MetroMold is the way to go... the OER strips look VERY rough compared to those (even when the OER is brand new, they usually dont look very good). The Soffseal ones are good too, and since you arent in a hotter climate, you could look at them too.

I havent seen pics of Steele Rubber before. They dont appear to make a version that is specific to our cars. Where did you hear about them?
    https://www.steelerubber.com/door-weatherstrip

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

I used Metro Soft Seal on my doors and am very happy with them. Do a search here and you will find a lot of info.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

After using
    Steele, OER, GM and Metro molded for the roof rail and door weather strip I settled on Metro and saved the GM WS for another day.

5. NYLongshot

NYLongshot New Member

This is what I found on steel rubber. They also sell each set separately......... They were recommended from the person who is doing the paint job but Id never heard of them. The OER that I have are too stiff and the doors need to shut hard to seat properly.

https://www.steelerubber.com/basic-weatherstrip-kit-82-0005-90

6. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I cant (or shouldnt really) comment on the Steele Rubber because I have never seen it. I am curious though, as I have never even heard of them.

There are some specific differences that I am aware of
    • OER - the rubber has pits in it and generally looks like crap. It's very stiff and some people have said it fell apart fairly fast
    • SoffSeal - the rubber looks great. The rubber itself is thicker and works well in colder or moderate climates. Some people have said they had issues in hotter/humid climates
    • MetroMold - The rubber looks great. It isnt quite as stiff/thick as Soffseal.
    When I get some free time, I may order some of the Steele Rubber so I can do a side by side comparison... but I am currently using MetroMold and plan to continue doing so.

NYLongshot and hubedobeedo like this.
  7. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Metro works right from the second its installed.

NYLongshot and hubedobeedo like this.
  8. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

wurth makes a good product for weatherstrip https://www.autopia.org/forums/everything-else/38307-wurth-rubber-care-gel-stick-review.html i have used there products in the past i would assume this would be a quality product

9. hubedobeedo

i also purchased metro they have a very nice look and feel to them,close to factory.i have heard of people having the windows rolled down and closing the doors all the way with out the latchs installed and using a comealong to try and set the fit.

10. hubedobeedo

if not using original door and or 1/4's watch out for space difference between door and 1/4 were seal match up, i have seen discrepancy before that could lead to being to tight or loose especially were the bottom and top come together usually at the 1/4 and door. inner door frame had minor differences over the years.