DRAG reduction

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by **trevor**, Mar 24, 2019.

1. **trevor**

**trevor** Member

80A9D2DD-83DB-4BEC-9DAB-7F523591DE83.jpeg Well that airplane in the picture now has a gm ls3 that should make around 450hp but it originally came with 225hp , my other daily has a 520 cubic inch that makes 285hp

xten likes this.
  2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Man, I would have lost that bet. Guess you can't tell by feel. Camaro seems so much more stable. And no, I haven't done any drag reduction testing. But if you put the same motor & the rest of the drive train in both vehicles, must be something with the Camaro, like drag.It's not only the crosswind that affects my S-10, it's also a headwind. The front's kinda flat. lol

3. **trevor**

**trevor** Member

This one put 831hp to the tires it’s my daily driver still has full factory interior and Vintage air AC , it’s the one I am having drag issues with , 4AB4A58F-C987-4CD5-BD96-D63251E58B71.png

4. **trevor**

**trevor** Member

The Camaro would be affected by a headwind as well but not as much in the same speed car as it is both heavier and more draggy so the headwind would be less of a factor percentage wise to both hp and overall drag ,

5. **trevor**

**trevor** Member

I have done extensive testing on the first gen s10 over the years and still own the same one I bought in 1992 , it’s gone over 180mph with only about 550hp my middle son now races it and it presently runs high tens in quarter but geared to go faster it can out run my Camaro on top speed even though I have almost almost double the power ,
    Just for a lark put some 223 gears in your s10 and run it down the highway ,
    If you have removed the sway bars please put em back on first
    (It needs good sway bars )
    Then post up what you learned

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

S-10 hasn't got much love since I bought the Camaro. I've wanted that car for years. I'm getting (am) old, so I don't see doing much with the 10 anymore, other than driving it. It's street legal, and still fun to take for a spin now and then. Gonna have to take your word for it. No sway bars either!

7. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Isn't this exactly what a spoiler is supposed to do? Redirecting air to create down force with drag as a secondary effect? So the question is if the low spoiler is effective at all in it's primary task or more of a decal...

8. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

I think you are quite correct. However, most cars these days have some kind of lip on the back end to reduce drag and/or lift. It must just depend on the car and the size and shape of the spoiler. In the magazine test I referenced, the short spoiler (it was NOT the factory one piece and looked to be about half the height of the 3-piece) produced significant downforce (not just a reduction in lift)- a little over 90 LBS @ 120 mph. It also reduced the drag coefficient by .021 number. I would think the stock 3-piecer would make at least that much downforce and it's drag penalty was only .008 Cd. That's a pretty good trade-off, I think. The test was done in the Lockheed, Marietta wind tunnel by Mark Gleason and Louis Duncan, two ex Ford aerodynamicists.

camaro71/holland likes this.
  9. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

My 2nd gen is a tank compared to my old 1st gen. I my mind they're just heavy cars.

10. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

I have a thread over on a Trans Am forum just about 2nd gen aerodynamics you may find interesting. While a lot of it concerns increasing down force for road track type stuff there's a lot of info about airflow through the engine compartment etc. that applies to reducing lift as well as drag. http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=71522.0

One thing about the S-10 comparison may be that the S-10's simply have less frontal area pushing air out of the way. If you cross sectioned both vehicles is the 2nd gen F body larger?