Drilling out wheel hub holes to make studs work?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by ROWDYROB, Oct 13, 2014.

1. ROWDYROB

ROWDYROB Member

Hey--i just posted how i couldnt find a long enough stud with a .472 knurl to work---well i am gonna try and drill out hub holes and make a .475 that is 7/16 and 2'' long work that i got from oreilly---i have done one and it pulled it and is tight enough that i do have to take a hammer and knock it out but it does knock out easier than i would like---so my question is do yall think i am screwing up or would yall not think this will work?---i am using a 15/32 drill bit,i am wondering if i should go a hair smaller with the bit but not sure what would be a hair smaller?---thanks for any input

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  2. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Why are you having to drill the hole out? All 2nd gens came with 7/16 studs from the factory.

3. ROWDYROB

ROWDYROB Member

I had to use a 1/2 spacer and the stud has a .472 knurl---they do not make a 7/8 stud over stock length with this size knurl----------nowhere

4. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

If you are using a .475 stud it should press in nice on a .468 (15/32) hole. Remember though, when you are hand drilling something...the hole always comes out slightly bigger. It will probably be closer to .470. If you are going to drill those out with 15/32...that's about as close as you can get without getting a custom made reamer (see chart). The next regular size is .484 and that would be too big.

The knurl is the part you want to measure. The hole needs to smaller than the diameter of the knurl to get the proper press fit into the flange...remember those studs need to be tight so they don't spin when you torque down your lug nuts. Does the stud manufacturer give you a recommended drill size or press fit (interference fit) requirement for installing those?

Also, I always keep a decimal conversion chart near by when I am drilling holes in something.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

G

5. ROWDYROB

ROWDYROB Member

Thanks for reply--i finally just winged it and drilled out one side and used .475 studs and they seemed to pull in pretty good and wheel went on good,i drilled other side and bit broke so dumb me decide to drill them on out with half broke bit which reemed hole too big and .475's just barely pulled in so i knocked them out and got 5 more out at oreilly which were like .486 with mic but pulled all the way in and appeared good and tight------------got both wheels back on,they are 17x11 with 315 35 tires and a half inch spacer because the 5.75 backspace hit airshock on one side but all seems good rt now-----i wanted to keep the airshocks so i could raise were i wanted and they seem tighter than gas shocks were i have seen people having to roll the lip because of scrubbing on hard bumps.Anyway maybe the wheels wont come flying off or some crap--lol---thanks