Drive Shaft Universal Joints

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by typeomang, Jan 11, 2019.

1. typeomang

typeomang Veteran Member

I have checked the search archive and can not pull it up. Did 1980 universal joints have plastic injected into them or did they just have the inside clips?........1SG(ret)

2. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

Can't help for definite, but my '79 had injected plastic.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Look for retaining clips, both inside and outside. If they aren't there, take a propane torch to it and see if plastic bubbles out. If you are replacing the U joint anyway, heating it won't hurt it.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

3R joints in all the later Camaros had injected plastic to retain the caps. Aftermarket 3R joints have clips on the inboard side of the U-joint cap. 1310/1330/1350 have outboard retaining clips. Based on what I have seen, the 70-81 Camaros only used 1310 (early Camaro) and 3R joints (Later Camaro)

To remove the factory 3R joints is to heat them and melt the plastic out. A real pain the arse! Be careful too...I have had caps fly off.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  5. typeomang

typeomang Veteran Member

awesome, thank you guys, I went ahead and replaced the straps and bolts for the rear u joint.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The plastic injected ones are quite easy to remove. Lay the driveshaft on a block of wood on the floor. Heat it with a propane torch until the plastic starts to bubble out of the injection holes. Then, simply smack it with a hammer and bolt on the end cap and it pops out. Before you do that, put on a welding helmet with a clear lens and a jacket to protect your face and arms from the heated plastic squirting out.

7. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

YEP! heat it too much it will POP really loud and spray you with napalm... Yes... I have.... so wear that face mask!