Drive train options - L94/L99 + 6spd or 383 + 700r4

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by BrewInfusedYeti, Oct 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BrewInfusedYeti

BrewInfusedYeti New Member

I'm trying to hone in on my drive train for my 2nd gen Camaro. I have a 383 stroker on the engine stand right now and a 700r4 core that needs a rebuild. I am bouncing between keeping the 383 and trying to rebuild the 700r4 myself with a monster transmission rebuild kit or a b&m trans kit.
    OR
    There is a salvage yard in town that has a L94 6.2liter out of a GMC truck with 57k miles. They are looking for 3k for the motor (it runs no issues) and from what I have read its very close to the L99 (different intake, oil pan, accessory mounts). I'd pair the motor with a 6spd out of a 2012 Camaro that has similar mileage. With this route there would be other costs to support the LS motor - radiator, fuel lines, computer/ecu.

The rear end is locked in at this point (Currie 9" with 3.70 gears). Goal is a fun/reliable street car that I can take on short road trips to the car shows in the area. Off hand the LS combo seems like it might be the more reliable route. I built the 383 nearly a decade ago and so far it runs fine on the test stand - it is not a roller cam which is a downside of this block.

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Let's see here?, 6.2 for 3K +another 2K for an intake, ign setup, big dollar headers or a nice 383 that can be built on the cheap, Humm.... A for reliability both are reliable. after all the SBC has been around since 1955 and the LS has been around since 1997. Tough decision.

3. BrewInfusedYeti

If I stick with the 383, is it worth rebuilding the 700r4 myself or should I look towards buying a rebuilt 700r4 from summit or jegs?

4. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Why not pair the 6 speed with the 383?
    The 700r is not great for a powerful engine...

5. BrewInfusedYeti

The 700r4 was the last transmission that does not require an external transmission controller. 4L60E, 6L80E, & beyond require an external transmission controller that can cost up to 1k. The ECU with the LS motors typically handles the transmission shift points (to my knowledge/understanding). Feel free to set me straight if i'm misunderstanding how I would mate a 6L80E with the 383 stroker.