Driveline angle issue?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ULTM8Z, Dec 1, 2019.

1. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I see that a lot of the online apps don't mention, or "skim over", the total working angles that includes the top view compound angle. This has to be added in the equation but is difficult to measure.

Our cars have the rear offset to the passenger side, some more than others, and a reason why some cars fight more drive line vibrations more than others.

Tossing in the pinion shims is great to get everything equal and opposite & parallel on the hit, great if drag racing all the time, but what is the angles at at steady driving. (Just what XTEN is saying)
    Use soft springs & bushings and your just running in circles.

I've used 7* pinion angle on the "drag setups" and loaded the angles are close to "0", just what I want, but would not use that on the street all the time.

xten likes this.
  2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I'm sure there's a lot more to it, yeah.

For someone like me though, I just have to do the best I can with my limited abilities and tools I have to work with.

3. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The driveline angles are one reason I don't care for the Gear Vendors. Very few cars have the room for it there.

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

It's proving challenging, I'll give you that.

I guess I was just barely getting away with it with my old stock converter and the less axle wrap. The 2500 rpm converter and the more severe axle wrap probably put it over the edge.

But, there's no way I'm taking the GV out at this point... it's way too much of a blast to drive (especially now with the 2500 rpm stall converter). Hook or crook, I'm going to make this set up work dammit... lol...

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

What did GV have as far as drive line angles on their 2nd Gen Camaro conversion?, did you call GV for help or did they give you any instructions for the install ? Fairly expensive part not to have install instructions with some details.

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I did call them and got some general advice... problem is my HA mod kinda throws a monkey wrench into the mix. They're product is awesome but I've had mixed results with their tech line in terms of how helpful they are with other various questions I've had.

Their instruction sheet just says...

1.) The driveshaft should maintain at least 1/2° operating angle.

2.) Operating angles between any two opposing driveline components should remain less than 3°.... and the shorter the driveshaft, the less tolerant to larger angles.

If I put in the 4" shims I should meet these requirements.

But overall not much insight in their instructions beyond what is generally known...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I would actually reverse it and say "the GV unit threw a monkey wrench in the HA mod".

WOW, that's it for the GV instructions? 1 and 2 are basic drive line principles.

They (GV) should add:

3) Trans tunnel-mount and/or floor modifications may be required for clearance and for proper geometry and drive angle settings.

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

They give you a pretty good instruction booklet... it's just for the driveline set up, that's essentially the extent of the guidelines on setting up the angles.

9. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's the problem. They don't tell you the caveats.
    They simply don't fit most cars without cutting the floor and give proper driveline angles.
    On most 60-70s GM cars they hit the floorplan brace. NOT a piece I want to cut out.
    I don't mind moving some floorplan around but the main center brace needs to be fairly intact.

They aren't going to fit any Classic Mopar floorpans.
    Most likely few Fords.

So you either make major cuts or you can't use the OD because the car is going to vibrate you to death and those speeds.

G72Zed, Dave Nelson and John Wright like this.
  10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I was thinking about that brace long and hard before committing to the gear vendors (since I knew it had to be cut out).

But to be honest, on a fully assembled car, I'm not sure what that lone brace actually buys you structurally in that direction (along the width of the car). It'll only add stiffness to the floor pan in that direction, but I don't imagine you're getting much loading trying to bend the car in half along that short direction. And it's not going to add any torsional rigidity (it's too narrow relative to the car length).

I've heard it's there mainly for the assembly process, but I was never able to confirm that.

Any rate, I haven't seen any negative effects from cutting out that portion to clear the GV (yet! :) )