Driveline angle issue?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ULTM8Z, Dec 1, 2019.

1. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

probably because other structure mods were made, GM engineered their vehicles for specific reasons. we modify them for other use ,that needs to be taken into consideration.if removing factory brace what are you replacing it for intended use?space restriction should not dictate from structural integrity . could lead a eventual failure.

2. hubedobeedo

i am assuming you have checked with a protractor need 180 degree phasing up and down also make sure it is in correct line side ways, if you have the drive shaft in phase then it is probably a problem at the other ends (tran or rear) . i am only guessing about were it is but it sounds like maybe output shaft bearing or the tail shaft it self.good luck questions are good.any play in the pinion?

3. hubedobeedo

i am using a hotchkiss adjustable sport bar have not had the car on street under own power ,but the reason i am using this setup is for future use besides straight line.have done other mods to rear suspension

Attached Files:

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Is that bar supposed to curb axle wrap?

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

I agree, I don't like the look of traction devices either. However, I am sure that a spring pack can easily be engineered to resist axle wrap while still maintaining good ride. I know i have read that somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  6. hubedobeedo

its a sway bar,i have made shock plates and moved both shocks inboard to the rear.not the same as a caltrac setup,which is a good fix for straight line.but i want something that is more versatile and does not protrude under the car.that said it should help .i am also running a detroit locker in the 9 inch diff.i will find out if it works!

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

ULTM8Z, looks like your still struggling with this issue, I would suggest you re-read my post, #14, the answer is right there. I will go 1 step further for you.

1- Landrum Leaf's, - Start with # 21-342SP D or A.
    2- Allstar Bolt on/Adj. leaf pads - #ALL56127
    3- PTFbody.com, sponsor here - OCS-448 , Spher-o-bushings

Install these parts, adjust your pinion angle, weld perch pads once set, your done.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Solid answer right there.

9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

One thing I haven't checked that I need to is the lateral alignment between transmission output shaft and the differential pinion. Hopefully if I get some time this weekend.

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I think you need better springs also, I had wheel hop, new springs, no wheel hop. Mine are custom works.