Driveline angle issue?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ULTM8Z, Dec 1, 2019.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Well, the transmission is coming out again...

After a test drive, I notice a leak coming from the dust cover area. Pulled it off, put the car up on jacks, started the engine and sure enough, a stream of transmission fluid coming from between the torque converter and the transmission.

Going crazy with this thing...

My guess is the out of balance Hughes converter took its toll on the front seal..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I have transmission removal down to a science now... removed it about a hour and a half.... lol

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I know the pain, especially if on the floor and you had everything just right to do it all over. Good luck.

4. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

Front seals don't work well if the bushing is beat up. Hope you can get good parts from here on.

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Yeah, I've been reading about that bushing.

I'm taking the transmission into the shop today. I guess I'll see what he says...

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

So I took the transmission and converter down to the shop just now.

First thing the guy says is "wow, that hub looks a little rough". He suggested the seal may have prematurely failed due to it. He's going to do the full inspection and let me know what he finally finds out. I asked him how smooth should it be and he said pretty much a mirror finish.

If you run your finger or fingernail over the hub, it certainly doesn't feel like ridges or anything like that. I just don't know how sensitive these seals are to machine finish.

But what about that? How smooth does it need to be?

This is a TCI converter btw... I don't recall what the earlier Hughes converter hub looked like. It's a variable in my mind how much that Hughes converter contributed to this failure (if at all).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The hub that the seal rides on should be really smooth, nearly mirror finish. But if the hub is wobbling any at all, the seal can't do it's job.

black_aerocoupe likes this.
  8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Yeah he's also going to check the runout on the hub too.

9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Well, I got the transmission back and this time I had him order and install the converter that way it's all under his warranty. Installed it this weekend and it seems to be running really good, (hallelujia)...

I also installed a urethane mount and viola, that "vibration" is totally gone even under full throttle. So in reality it wasn't a vibration after all. Rather it was the GV unit hitting what remained of that stiffener. I cut out the remainder of the stiffener while I had the opportunity, so now there is significantly more clearance. I may try the rubber mount again since the urethane mount seems to transmit a little more engine vibration than I would like...

Transmission guy said the front seal and bushing were in fact damaged due to the converter hub... luckily Summit already refunded me for the TCI and actually gave me a $100 gift card for the trouble I've had with the converters they sent me.

But overall, at least the car is running well again... and hopefully this time it's the last time... I'm tired.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Congrats! Good work sticking with it, thanks for the update. Stay with the poly trans mount! Keep everything torquing and jiggling around as little as possible.