Driveline angle issue?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ULTM8Z, Dec 1, 2019.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I'm getting old I guess... lol. I like having a smooth running, relatively quiet car...

berg2695 likes this.
  2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Ok then, it's official. You are old. :) Go watch the news.

3. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Me too, nearly 63 years young lol.

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Took out for another drive yesterday evening...

I will say this, despite all the issues and headaches that popped up due to the GV install, it was still worth the hassle to have all those gears on tap... what blast it is to drive...

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Put the stock mount back on... yeah it's just so much smoother and quieter than the urethane.

And now with the added clearance from removing the remnants of the brace in the tunnel, there's sufficient clearance that the GV doesnt hit the tunnel anymore.

Driveability wise I'm back to where I was with the stock converter, but with the performance benefit of the GV and higher stall... finally.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been shadowing this thread. Glad you've got it pretty much worked out now. I thought about a GV unit, but I just can't justify it now.

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Well, I'm glad you found your issue, and it's worked out in the end, although you stated in your initial post that the GV unit was not in fact hitting the floor.

Lots of good info shared anyway that others could refer to in the future.

And, still in my view, it's one of the reasons why GV does not go into details of the floor mods that may be needed for certain models, it would just eliminate those potential sales.

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Yeah initially I didnt realize how much the GV was able to move around back there until I got a small crowbar and moved it around by hand hand and discovered just how soft the stock trans mount really is.

The unit is so far back of the mount that even a small movement at the mount translates into a very significant movement at the GV.

What i should have done at the very beginning was remove every last bit of the brace in the tunnel rather than just the raised portion. It just so happens that the widest parts of the GV lines up with the spot weld flanges on that brace.

I actually found the small witness marks on the GV from where it was hitting.

But I'm glad that the issue flushed out the driveline angle out-of-spec and I got that back in line. Though I will say I haven't noticed any changes in the way the car drives with the angles back in spec...

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Glad it worked out! A in car video of car banging thru gears would be nice....

10. jvle95

jvle95 Veteran Member

...and some pics of the tunnel brace removal area?