Drop spindles

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Eddiesystematic, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Eddiesystematic

Eddiesystematic New Member

I am hoping someone can tell me the pros and cons of lowering springs vs drop spindles.
    It seems like there are different thoughts on this topic.I know first gen camaro's seem to have problems( with drop spindles)... not sure if there has been success with second gens.My application:
    small block
    factory a/c
    cruiser/daily
    I am looking to get the lowest stance with the smoothest ride quality.
    My thoughts are drop spindles with factory non A/C springs (303 in lb spring rate)

Any help would be appreciated

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the general consensus is they suk! There seems to be issues with the steering arm location causing wierd bump steer issues. Now i do not have them as I have always done springs personally! Lowering the ride hieght without INCREASING the spring rate is NOT a great idea as it allows the vehicle to bottom out too easy. drop springs with tall upper ball joint is the "got to method". easy cheap EFFECTIVE.

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

There is a reason why the aftermarket has very limited options for "drop" spindles for a second gen, and as Fbird states, they basically do most things wrong.

As an example, I bought a set (brand withheld) early on in my build, setting up the front end and working through the geometry and motion, they effected the tie rod pick up point, increased scrub radius, and in setting the lowered ride height that I wanted, induced positive camber gain under bump.

The other issue that was encountered was with the quality of the uprights themselves, they say 4340 or whatever for the spindle, but no firm spec on the rest of it.

Best way is to use the correct lowering springs for the front end weight, tall upper ball joints, and perhaps a bump steer kit. If you serious on the handling/feel, look into tubular or adjustable upper arms to dial in the much needed positive Caster these cars need.

4. Eddiesystematic

Eddiesystematic New Member

Thanks for the replies... I have read that they are problematic on some older posts, I was just wondering if there has been any recent improvements. So I will go with the Hotchkis 2" drop springs.... Are the tall ball joints necessary, i just purchased factory Bj's Also what shocks should I run?

5. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

The only "improvement" to drop spindles is to not use them.
    Cons:
    Lowered roll center.
    Increased scrub radius.
    Still need stiffer springs to make up the altered distances.
    Interference with inner tie rod.

They are fine for a drag car.

Tall upper ball joints are a very good idea when lowering the car to restore and/or improve the roll center height.
    Shocks depends on your budget there are a couple that work well for that combination, Belstein HDs, Afco, Hotchkis Fox.

PTFB can set you up with all three of those items for around $400 drop springs, tall upper ball joints, matched shocks.

72BIGBLOCK, G72Zed and BonzoHansen like this.