'dropped' Pitman Arm

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by studsZ28, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

I found this thread in a search...If you go the parts store or online search it will tell you to use the 829 drag link with a V8. It doesn differentiate between certain pitman arms or Idlers. I can't find a reason why you can't use the drop pitman/idler with the 829 drag link. So I'm going to just swap the parts and leave the drag link in.

2. 73 L92

73 L92 Veteran Member

On my L92 73 swap with fbody accesories I too found the pitman arm just hitting the alternator. I ground the top of the threaded portion of the stud down to match the top of the nut. Clears by a 1/8". It's strange because when I swapped a LS1 into my 79 it didn't hit. Don't recall if the 79 had a dropped pitman arm. The 73 doesn't.
    I would shim the engine up slightly to clear. Keeps all stock parts. That would of been my next move. My tunnel was so hacked from previous owners I had to rework for the tko 600 anyway.

3. Protour-Camaro

I would swap the Pitman before I started cutting away at the stud... Shimming is a good alternative, but like you said, tunnel clearance is at stake.

I just bought a pitman/new idler....cost $50 total

4. Protour-Camaro

I just bought the K6187T idler and the arm that bolts to the frame is not straight up and down...Is that normal??

5. wildcamaro

wildcamaro Veteran Member

Truck accessories work with no mods!

6. banaro79

banaro79 Veteran Member

i took mine to the press a little heat and some persuasion and fit nice doesnt take much to clear. been in two years without a problem