Dual vs single muffler

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 80sz, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Back when people were ditching the OEM transverse, there weren't any performance options for a transverse. Now Flowmaster and Pypes have performance transverse systems. The exhaust passes straight thru in perforated tubes with some wrap or stuffing in the main can. I don't see how the flow would really work against each other.

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

8F66F195-7060-4EE9-9DD3-37BA163B72E0.jpeg

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

4. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

I'm making about 425hp and 450 tq. Right on the edge for going to 3'' pipes. Since the 383 is a torque motor I kinda kept the system smaller and set up for less rpm. I red line at 6k with the ZZ383. All I can say is it will sit you back in the seat, and things go by very quickly...Hahaha. People have told me it has a crack and snap sound to it when i'm getting on it. Get some compliments on the way it sounds at cruise in's.

80sz likes this.
  5. Spoffie

Spoffie New Member

The Pypes crossflow muffler uses the same exact design as a regular Race Pro, only it obviously uses 2 straight through tubes instead of 1. Same perforated tube design, same packing material as the regular Race Pro, only longer in length and mounted behind the diff. What's cool about Pypes though is that they give you different options. In addition to the crossflow, they offer both X-Pipe and straight duals with a choice of their 3 mufflers, or no mufflers so you can use whatever you like. Many people like to use the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers with those systems.
    https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/p/pypes-70-81-f-body-x-pipe-2-5-sgf11
    https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/p/pypes-70-81-f-body-true-dual-2-5-sgf31
    https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/p/2-5-dynomax-super-turbo-mufflers

6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

As bad as I hate to...I'll throw the Flowmaster 80 series out there too. I have one on my car for ground clearance. It's actually not giving off much drone like FM is typically known for. My system was fabbed from scratch by a local exhaust shop from the headers to the tail pipes. I have no complaints. Fairly quiet idle and throaty when you lean on it heavy.

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Took off the 3” pypes system. Got the 2.5” on and butt meter says no difference. It’s almost same at idle but at 3000 much better. It’s not quiet but it’s not obnoxious. I like it and pretty happy. I think I’ll fab up a resonator tube next year to eliminate the vibrating/drone which also had dropped significantly .

xten likes this.
  8. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

sounds good, resonators will knock it down some. I had thought about using the "hockey stick" tips that pypes sells and make a slip in resonator to fit in it for when I want it more quiet. Like on the interstate for long rides at 3000 r's.

80sz likes this.