Duramax Deisel ??? Should I Buy Chevy Or Ford Powerstroke?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by spaman, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No way to tell if it'll be any better...one can only hope.:brightide

2. Ztoy

Ztoy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My bro in law is a big time builder and farmer. He bought a duramax and rides it hard and long for his business and for farming. He also has one of the big Ford's with the big diesel and a full back seat. Tons of room and it rides real nice, and pulls their huge horse trailer with no problemo, but he still swears by the Chevy saying it has much more power and torque than the Ford. Says the Chevy Duramax has unreal power with NO problems along the way. I also know quite a few others with them and they all have nothing but good to say about them. One guy changed the chip and is running low 11's in the 1/4.

3. spinmaster

spinmaster Veteran Member

I have a 01 Duramax and yes I have had some issues with the fuel injectors but the dealer finally fix the problem and the truck runs great. I looked around for a diesel truck and Ford and Dodge thinks their trucks are the best but I have heard more bad storys about Dodge and Fords then anything but the old GM diesels that were based on a gas motor.

4. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think that a lot of people give the duramax a bad rap because of those old motors still. Because GM didnt have a good deisel for so long that people still think that if it is a GM deisel it cant be good.

5. kyle_pc_75

kyle_pc_75 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We have a 2002 Powerstroke at work, and while the engine and tranny is great, the whole rest of the truck fell apart around it. Granted, being a work truck, it probably gets more abuse than a privately owned one would, but our Chevys (non-deisels) have held up much better.

6. ryork

ryork Veteran Member

I'd recommend the Duramax anyday. My father has a '04 and it will fry the tires at a dead stop. I'd hardly call this engine a dog. We took this to Camaros at Carlisle a couple years ago going 75 to 80 mph and it got 22 mpg - this is a truck that weighs ~7,000 lbs. empty. I have heard about problems with the Powerstroke and the Cummins is a nice engine but the truck sucks. I've been around all three and the Duramax is my choice by far.

BTW - Have you fellas heard about the new engine that Dodge is going to use in a few years??? Can you say Mercedes Benz diesel??? I guess Toyota is going to come out with a 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks and they will be using the Cummins diesel. So I've heard.....

7. fbodyfreak

fbodyfreak Veteran Member

I am a tech at a Ford dealership, and the 6.0 powerstroke runs great. It runs about the same as dads 04 Duramax. As previous stated, the Dodge just doesn't have the truck, or mainly the (auto) TRANNY to use the Cummins' full potential. The 6.0 issues seem to be on a truck-by-truck basis. What I mean is that trucks that have problems, have a whole lot of them, but ones that dont seem to do just fine. I have no idea why this is, but thats how it seems to be. To me, it would have to be between the Duramax and Powerstroke. The Ford can be had with a nicer interior and nicer looking exterior, too, IMHO. BUT the F250 or F350 (straight axle) is ALOT more sloppy feeling than the Chevy, which has an independent front suspension. My buddy is a tech for a Chevrolet dealership, and he says the Duramax doesn't seem to have any real issues with it. At least not any prominent recurring ones. It just depends on what you want the truck for. In my opinion, the Chevy is the better driving truck, at the cost of being slightly less visually appealing than the ford, and IMHO, all other aspects of Powerstroke vs Duramax is equal. Dang, that was a long post. Hope this helps a little.

8. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

True, samething I have heard. Either you're lucky, or you're screwed hard.

9. Zclassic

Zclassic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Although I am Chevy through and through I did buy a Ford truck because I wanted a diesel and heard many bad things about Chevy's diesel program. I ended up with a 2003 F450 Crew Cabthat had been to a customize shop when new called "LA West". I think they are part of Choo Choo Customs. Anyway, I really like this truck. It has the 7.3L, auto, leather and really nice. I have not had any major problems and bought it with 70k+ miles on it. It does ride a little stiff but I've ridden in vettes that ride just like it. One thing it gets that I didn't count on is LOOKS and ATTENTION. I wanted something nice to haul the family and pull my cars around and it fits the bill. Just my 2 cents...

10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i'm a diesel mechanic and if you want to know what is the stronger engine ,it's the cummins. the cummins has the largest connecting rod out of all 3 engines and the duramax has the smallest /frail looking connecting rod .the fords that i've worked on were in F650's with the power stroke and they all had computer and injector problems . the power stroke still has oiling issues that cause siezed piston pins and crankshaft failures .

our race team has a 1 ton 02 dodge cummins diesel with just a cold air box conversion and while pulling a fully loaded 45' 9500lbs race car trailer we average about 15mpg and as low as 11mpg pulling over steep highway passes here in socal .