Early 1970 Z28 Window Sticker

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 70lt1z28, Oct 3, 2019.

1. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

To hard to tell if it's original or reproduction, need close up pics. That POP looks pretty shinny in the photo.

2. Dean70Z28

Dean70Z28 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is there any way to pay, get my window sticker. Have my build sheet I found in my front drivers seat.

Dean

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Reproduction window stickers are readily available. A number of companies will print one up for you using the information you have on the car. I don't know how accurate they would be as the information needed to get it exactly right may not be available.
    Your build sheet is more valuable as it is original.

4. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Contact Paul: https://www.winvoices.com

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I was originally questioning if the info that was placed on the window sticker was a bit "fluid" over time. A case in point is this car being so early. When it was originally ordered, there were no cars to compare it to and the dealers, especially in small dealerships and markets, may not even have had the most up-to-date info. The 1970's were just being introduced and the dealers hadn't even seen them yet. The original owner wanted to make sure he got a clock, so he checked that box even though the Z28 gauge package came with one anyway. Maybe that's how it appeared on the window sticker? As far as the Z21 package not being on the WS, not sure on that. The car was restored once and maybe that was added.

6. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This from the 1970 Chevrolet Passenger Car prices that that the dealer used...You can draw from your own conclusion, maybe it was just oversight by the salesman.

bbjsfB6jR5KyG9cJkn8tXQ.jpg fullsizeoutput_2473.jpeg

tom3 likes this.
  7. Gary S

From the list of build VINs I have, that car wasn't a really early built car. It would have been made in the second full month of production, Mid-February. The production practices were solidly in place by that time.

The presence of an extra cost clock on the sheet to me screams reproduction sheet. As shown above, the clock was listed as extra cost on passenger cars. Nothing it noted there about Camaros where we know that the clock was not available separately, only as part of the special instrumentation package. The people doing reproduction sheets don't know all the details of every car so they often make mistakes like this. If you look at the build sheet of any Camaro of that era with special instrumentation, the U35 clock shows up on the build sheet. That alone would fool most reproducers of sheets so they would mistakenly put it on the window sticker as an extra cost item.

This is the problem with reproduction documentation. Once they make their first mistake, there is no credibility of anything else on the paper.
    Even if a salesman made the mistake of ordering the clock separately, the factory would not make the same mistake on the documentation that originally came with the car.

I don't have a window sticker for my car because none came with it. However, a little known fact is that when the window sticker was printed, there was a second sheet behind it that was also printed at the same time. This one got the same imprint as the original front sheet, but was a white sheet of paper with "CAR SHIPPER" printed in it. It would be easy to reprint the information from my car's Shipper's copy to a blank window sticker, but in doing so, I might end up throwing all my original documentation into question if even one little glitch showed up on the reproduction. It isn't worth doing as I already have enough original paperwork and since I have owned the car since new, I know it all to be original.

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Makes sense to me. I didn’t think about the clock not being available as a stand alone option.

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Sure would be nice to be able to order a new Camaro today just the way you wanted it. Leave out all the froofraw garbage that just kills the fun of owning a Camaro. If I wanted a Caddy I'd, well, keep on wanting with my income.

10. Gary S

Those days of ordering the car you want are gone. That is a "50 years ago thing". Today you are expected to drive one of their clones and not complain.

50 years ago: Order the car you want, drive it, restore it, and keep it forever.
    Today: Buy it the way they want to sell it, drive it, junk it, and repeat.

tom3 likes this.