Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 Install

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by chiefburns, Feb 4, 2020.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

And the techs on the forum seem to be pretty open minded with ideas that people have. They will preface it by saying "this is not what we recommend..." and go on to think it through.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Can you tell us about your engine? Size, cam specs, idle vacuum?

3. chiefburns

chiefburns New Member

Sure, its a 355, 4-bolt mains, with TRW blower pistons, 2 key cast iron crank, Summit 64cc aluminum heads, and a very aggressive cam (don't have the specs on me but seems like duration was 240+ and lobe separation was 113?). The guy I bought the car from built it with the intentions of putting a blower on it but never got around to doing it. I have less than 10" of vacuum at idle, which is why I chose the Edelbrock over the others. None of the other recommended their system with less than 10" and with the Pro Flo, you can select between street, mild, and race cam profiles in the initial setup process. BTW, I am not a salesperson for Edelbrock or anything like that, I just did a ton of research before spending all of that $$. Plus, not being a mechanic, I wanted the easiest system for me to install without having to beg for help from someone.

NYH1 likes this.
  4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to some follow up after you use it more

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bonzo - I installed mine (pn35770) last spring and while I don't drive it very much, there have been no real problems. Initial startup was the only issue I've really had. The setup wizard didn't jive with my engine combo, but with a call to tech support, we loaded another table and I was up and running. Edelbrock also says to use their vacuum referenced return style regulator, but I'm using a Holley 12-304 in tank pump with built in return. After discussing with Edelbrock tech, they said it would work okay, just not their preferred way to go. This system has a lot of features and flexibility in tuning. The ECU is not potted into the throttle body so it's not heat soaked like others. Another plus is the blue tooth link to the ECU. Here's a link to the tech forum, seems most issues are operator error.
    https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/pro-flo-efi/pro-flo-4

BonzoHansen likes this.
  6. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

I'm considering one of the Pro Flow 4 systems as well. Not sure which of their systems to go with, the Traditional 4150-Style Kit or the XT-Style Kit.

I may end up going with a mild ProCharger setup at some point. Not sure if that makes a difference as to one system being better then the other.

NYH1.

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

Same here. I'd rather go with the XT style, but I need it to fit under a stock 81 Z28 hood. I don't think the XT will.

NYH1 likes this.
  8. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

Seriously looking at one of these myself. Have a shaker so I'm leaning towards the 4150 style. Can't really find a straight answer on whether or not there's a considerable performance difference between the 4150 and XT style in regards to daily driving, so maybe it's a wash.

I have a Sniper with Hyperspark ignition at the moment and while I finally have it sorted well enough to drive it without worrying or fiddling with anything, it still seems sloppy/clumsy compared to what I expect from EFI and what I see in videos of engines running on a Pro-Flo 4. I was considering doing a 24x and coil-near-plug conversion but I don't think I want to deal with that level of tuning anymore, so the PF4 seems like the next best thing.

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

I agree. I don't think there is a performance difference between the two on any given engine, but the XT may be easier to pressurize if someone was inclined to run a supercharger. It also may be better for big cubic inch engines. I will be doing mine in the spring, stay tuned to the thread.

10. chiefburns

chiefburns New Member

I spent a little more time yesterday driving mine and I can't tell you how much of an improvement it has been from my carb setup. Throttle response is instant and no more hard-cranking or having to warm up the engine for a minute or two before backing out of the garage. My gas gauge is getting low so I'm interested to see what kind of fuel economy this thing is getting but I can definitely tell its better than before based on the "Sunday drive to fill-up ratio".