Edelbrock Thunder AVS Series??

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by JWZ28, Apr 2, 2011.

1. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

I'm still on the hunt for a carburetor for my future engine build...

Demon is pretty much out of the picture and I've had my share of frustration with Holley.

Anybody had any experience or know someone who has used an Edelbrock Thunder Series carb? I'm lookin at both the 650 and 800. They seem to have more performance based options than your standard edeljunk that most people love to hate.

2. GM72_SuperSport

GM72_SuperSport Veteran Member

I'm a Quadrajet guy but what has me considering switching has been the quick fuel line of carbs. They are great quality and I got two buddies running them. One an SS and the other a hot rod series and I drove both cars before and after they switched from an eddy and holley. After I installed them and jetted them up for their combos I was really really impressed with the quality and performance. Might even get an SS series myself. And I'm a tough carb man to impress believe me.

3. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

I dont much car for a qjet and I'm gettin rid of mine. These quick fuel carbs look nice but they appear to be just like a holley, not necessarily a bad thing but is there a major difference between the two that you know of? Thanks for the info I didnt even know these existed.

4. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had a eddy 800 on my 468 and it did good I still have it if you want it I will sell. I cant use it on my new motor way too small going with a 1050 on new motor.

5. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

What kind of eddy is it? I'm lookin at the thunder series because it has more tunable options than other eddy's

6. gthmcty1

gthmcty1 New Member

I worked for Edelbrock previously and I must say that the new AVS carbs are pretty awesome and the tune-ability is by far the easiest to do. The secondary tuning features are hands down awesome.

I have had the opportunity to play with Qjets, and Holley (they have really improved there carbs, but then again with BG on the market they had to step up their game) I still enjoy the EB carbs because of the tuning aspect.

PS. I no longer work there just thought I would give my .02.

7. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

I appreciate your input...I know a TON of people who bash eddy's but from what I'm reading the thunder series sounds great.
    Being that you used to work for EB would you recommend a 650 or 800 for a 350 with 10:1 compression, vortec heads, big cam, etc. I was considering the 800 but I want to make sure I dont over feed the engine.

8. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would use a 650 on a street car and my friend put the AVS on his vortec headed 350, 700R4 automatic car and it runs awesome.

9. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mine is not a thunder it is a performer

10. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

I appreciate the offer but I'll have to pass