EFI Comparison (MSD Atomic vs Holley Avenger vs FAST EZ vs Powerjection III)

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by CDesperado, May 3, 2012.

1. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    As I noted in an earlier thread, I agonized for months over which EFI system to choose for my 1978 Camaro.

Since I am not an expert on EFI, I started collecting information on four different systems then combined it into a matrix so I could make sense of all this. (This information came mostly from Summit Racing and the vendor websites.) I will say up front that I cannot debate the finer points of any of these systems... this is information that was readily available, just not in a comparison format that a layperson could understand.

With all that said, here is a head-to-head comparison of four different systems.
    (Aka, MSD Atomic vs Holley Avenger vs FAST EZ vs Powerjection III).
    MegaSquirt added in May 2012. This product line is a different class of system due to installation and a high learning curve, but we wanted to display the comparison for those interested in it.)

[​IMG]
    v4.1. Published 15 May 2012.

I look forward to seeing where this goes, but as of now, I plan to buy the MSD Atomic.

Notes:
    1. I should mention that the MSD 2900 includes a Fuel Pump, but is an additional $300 and I wanted to keep the prices as roughly equal as I could.
    2. The Holley HP EFI and Holley Dominator were intentionally excluded from this review as these products exceeded the parameters for the typical deployment scenario and end user that were established as the basis for this review. (ie, cars running at <400 HP.) I may add these products later, time permitting.
    3. MegaSquirt can be configured to control nitrous and can use most stock EFI sensors. It is compatible with electronic transmissions.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA
    I'm going with the MSD Atomic myself with the PWM fuel pump
    Fuel Pump
    Using a returnless system makes this step easier for the Atomic than any other

3. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    Just from looking at that I'd go with the MSD set-up

4. CDesperado

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    VTM... exactly. I have spent countless hours sifting through forums, seeing people debate this or that. I saw a LOT of posts where people stated things that were just flat out wrong based on the information from the vendor.

It all got too confusing for me to keep track of - I need something I can install then basically just forget about. I have no desire to "tune" my EFI system every time the weather changes (and you know what that is like here in Texas). LOL

Earnhardt..... can you provide a model number for that fuel pump? And can you help me understand the "advantage" of not using a return fuel line? I saw loads of people who were happy that they werent going to use a return line, but no one ever explained why not using a return line is better THAN using a return line. (In my analytical head, having a return line seems like the better option... since it is there if you need it, and if you dont, no worries.)

5. earnhardtgm3

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA

Sure--been doing alot of research myself.

The pump comes in a kit from MSD:$2290.00
    Atomic EFI Master Kit-PN 2900
    This is the complete kit for anyone planning to convert from a carburetor to Atomic EFI. You get the Throttle Body, Power Module (with Wide Band O2 sensor), Handheld Controller, and the Standard Fuel Kit for up to 525hp (at the crank).You will not need to run a return fuel line to tank like all the others.
    Instructions here:
    http://www.atomicefi.com/Atomic_EFI_Kits.aspx

A nice installation video explaining it all.
    http://www.atomicefi.com/AtomicInstallationVideo.aspx

Hope this helps you out........

6. CDesperado

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    And why is not having a return line such a good thing? I just cant wrap my brain around this. (Return lines are optional with the MSD Atomic... I was planning to actually use a return line.)

7. earnhardtgm3

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA
    You don't have to drop the tank and drill/weld a fitting in tank for the return fuel line

8. CDesperado

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Oh. So that really isnt an issue for me then. My fuel tank is in a box in the garage and I believe it already has two ports for a return line. (I am 99% certain my original tank had a return line, but I dont remember.)

9. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    just curious, what functions would the system need to have in order to run nitrous?

10. CDesperado

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    You should probably post that in the Giggle Gas thread... or call Summit directly as they will very likely know. And if they dont know, they will find out and call you back.

I am absolutely amazed at their Customer Service.