EFI Comparison (MSD Atomic vs Holley Avenger vs FAST EZ vs Powerjection III)

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by CDesperado, May 3, 2012.

1. Jones20992

Jones20992 Member

Have you considered mega-squirt?

2. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

sorry man, just trying to help for those that may be looking to make a decision on the samething. Was thinking that great chart could use a nitrous and a/c row. With a/c and efi, believe some of they have a fast idle circuit when a/c is on. I've read the fast system has the a/c circuit but isn't recommended for nitrous.

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jones... I've heard of it, but am not familiar enough with it to add to our comparison. If you can find out and send me the info, I will gladly add the columns and content. (I dont think it is in the same class as these other systems, based on price and some limited info I have on it.)

Erik... Thats a good idea actually. If you can get the info about it (like Nitrous compatible or whatever), I will be happy to add some rows. I hadnt even considered that being a decision point, but I can see how it would be.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. CDesperado

Regarding MegaSquirt... I just found this:

"In general, the MegaSquirt® family of EFI Controllers by Bowling and Grippo is not designed to be a 'no hassle' solution to user's EFI needs. Instead it is intended to be an educational process. As a result, a large amount of reading and study is required. If you are new to the MegaSquirt® community, you may find there is a lot of new information to digest, and much of it will seem confusing, or even contradictory. Your best bet is to read and re-read the FAQ and the manual thoroughly. "

Those red passages (emphasis mine) would have eliminated MegaSquirt as an option for me.

My baseline criteria are ease of installation and maintenance. If it didnt meet that criteria (or was designed more for racetrack/strip/600 HP monsters), I just didnt dig any further with it. My car is a weekend cruiser that will occasionally see me "getting on it" when the Lady isn't looking. :bowtie:

My build configuration is
    * 350 Engine
    * 325-350 HP
    * LT4 Hot Cam
    * 700R4 Transmission
    * 3.73 Gears

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  5. spcrollins405

spcrollins405 Veteran Member

I know I'm still fairly new here, but... 1 vote for STICKY!
    Once again Desperado, a great side-by-side comparison write up.

Edit: Hey I just noticed this months embarks my 1 year mark here! :)

6. Jones20992

Jones20992 Member

Granted mega-squirt is not plug and play by any means although there are some kits on diy auto tune that are very close. Its ability to be customized is amazing I used it a few years ago to convert my gsxr1100 to efi and was able to get it running very quickly considering the amount of fab work that was needed due to the obscurity of my conversion that was the old V.2.0 hardware. With that in mind my buddy just completed his project (a turbo and NOS equipped conquest with a 4g62) with the newer hardware he. Was able to retard timing based on boost and nitrous in real time. In addition to that where i needed a laptop in my backpack to use the autotune feature he uses the iphone app and tunes from his phone i think the biggest advantage to MS is if you need to add inputs you always have taht option rather then what you bought is what you have in my experience with mine in the early days of MS was that if you needed support it wasent as easy as calling the tech line but working together with the community through forums like this and spent many nights talking on the phone with other users i met through the forum. I do know that out of the box MS used GM sensors as that is mostly what i used on my project. I do remember wishing i was building a 5.0 mustang or a chevy V8 because there was so much more support and products available for those. In retrospect I would have liked to use a big box brand of EFI but MS was what my budget allowed because it is SO MUCH CHEAPER! now with the new board having provisions for electronic trannys and iphone/ ipod touch tuning im not sure if i would choose anything else. I will say this ....it is a learning tool and i believe i have a much deeper understanding of how and why EFI works and i can better trouble shoot problems with my 02 suburban because of it to relate this to my car experience if i ever have problems with a Q jet i buy an edel 1407 cuz i know it will work but because i have never attempted to rebuild or tune a carb i couldent tell you the first thing about them .......just my 2 cents sorry for the long winded post

7. CDesperado

Jones, if you can give me the matching info, I will be happy to add MegaSquirt to the comparison chart. (I will PM you with my email address and phone number.) I dont think it will be a Apples-Apples comparison due to the price point, but I definitely can see why this is an option for some folks. However, I can just add an additional criteria of "Plug and Play" and put MegaSquirt as a "No" in that field.

Thanks guys! Let me know if there is anything else you want me to add!

And Happy 1 Month SPCrollins!

8. Jones20992

Jones20992 Member

If any spamers want to buy this its 5 bucks a pop.....................jk :D

9. CDesperado

Lol

10. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just downloaded the instructions for the Atomic EFI. I just read something that turned me off to it in a big way

"NOTE: Do not use tubing (hard fuel lines) with the Atomic EFI system."

They dont tell you that in the product features!
    Yeah this is a good system to buy :rolleyes: