EFI Comparison (MSD Atomic vs Holley Avenger vs FAST EZ vs Powerjection III)

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by CDesperado, May 3, 2012.

1. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

2. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I dont know, you would have to ask them. They say the setup is rated to support 600 horse, thats about 900 CFM, no?

I may be able to get my drop base on the TB without the spacer. I will check that out and post up. Then you would be able to run a spacer under the TB, get a little more velocity out of the setup

Backfire with EFI? Highly unlikely, also that is automotive rated wire, a small backfire isnt going to make that catch fire very easily.

3. Chapman4440

Chapman4440 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does anyone have input on the holley efi stealth ram system?

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  4. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you collect the information on it, I will add it to the list. You may want to hold off for a month or so, Im working on a big change to to this to add even more information, but it will be awhile before I finish it. Im working on identifying a brake kit right now.

5. PolarBear

That isn't really relevant to this discussion since we are talking about TBI systems, but a quick search on Summit shows that the Stealth ram system uses the Holley Avenger EFI. This is the same ECM as the Holley TBI systems use and is very versatile. It can be bought with or without the handheld programming tool, or you can use a laptop for tuning.

6. Chapman4440

Chapman4440 Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just wanted to see if the stealth ram was worth buying for an option as well and didnt know if anyone had bought it and been happy with it, what do you think would it be a good buy?

7. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

i would have a hard time making the jump to efi with some of these offerings. but, im hard to please.
    it seems to me like the basic timing ability of the msd along with the ecu being mounted on the engine would be a deal breaker, doesn't justify the cost
    also i can't imagine that placing the injectors above the throttle would be very efficient like that pic of the holley. they just don't seem much better than a well tuned carb and distributor/spark box system. they are no simpler than a carb/distributor thats for sure.

8. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Has anyone put the EFI on and compared actual ET/MPH differences? Any MPG changes?
    Drive ability differences?

9. DFWJ

DFWJ Veteran Member

I stumbled upon this thread while researching systems for my own project. Lots of good information here, but this is just the tip if the iceberg when it comes to EFI. It can quickly become overwhelming, but it doesn't need to be if you understand the basics.

IMO, to realize the real potential and advantages of EFI on a street car I would avoid the TBI set ups and go with sequential port injection. Idle, tip-in, throttle response will all be greatly improved with (a properly tuned) sequential port injection versus the TBI set ups.

If you have the chance I highly recommend taking a course from www.EFI101.com The founder has also written a couple of books on the subject matter that may be helpful.

I have attended the EFI 101 and EFI Advanced courses as well as factory training on the AEM EMS.

(I am in no way employed or financially tied to EFI University)

Cheers!

10. PolarBear

Nothing happens, happy to report! :crazy: Had a backfire when I was trying to fire it up after I determined the coil was bad so I had to "flood clear" start it. There was a LOT of fuel sitting on the throttle plates and there was a 3 second fire or so.

Got my Holley system fired up today. All I can say is that people who thing a well tuned carb is as good as or better than this TBI system dont know WTF they are talking about. The system is soooooo smooth, driveability is excellent, its too bad I sat on my ass so long before putting it on.

I should say AGAIN it should not be called an 18 wire hookup. There are 8 connectors that you plug in, can not be confused, and another 6 wires to hook up to get running. Three wires connect to the battery, one to the fuel pump, one to engine ground, and one to IGN hot if you are using the timing control. Timing was super easy to set initially and then double check once running.