EFI Comparison (MSD Atomic vs Holley Avenger vs FAST EZ vs Powerjection III)

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by CDesperado, May 3, 2012.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You've never had one of those lol

congrats on finally getting it running.

2. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

gonna bring this up for a bump for anyone using the FAST EZ.
    mine runs great and being I already had a LT4 stroker the system was under $1000, that and having fastman's help was a breeze to set up. I had a MSD pro billet already and my intake was modded for it.
    car runs strong but waiting for this winter to get out of here so I can fine tune it this is a beast so far.

3. Pedestrian

Pedestrian New Member

Powerjection III

I know this is an older thread, but since the information is well researched / presented, I can assume that it is still currently heavily viewed. I believe that there may be some old / incorrect information about the Powerjection III kit. Here are some discrepancies:

Timing Control is listed as No. The current version does offer optional timing control. I am not intending on using this right away, so feel free to research if this meets your needs on your own.

Return Line is listed as Yes. Current kits offer a returnless option.

Number of Connections is listed as 7 with 0 optional. As I understand the directions listed in their forum, this should read 4 required and 1 optional. The connections include Bat+, Tach, Key+, Fuel Pump, and an optional one for using E85. The Tach input will use either the black or green wire depending on the source, so 1 connection will be N/A. *Disclaimer*-I have NOT installed this system and this information is per their forum admin.

Calibration Module is listed as No. I'm not 100% what you mean by this. If you mean a handheld controller for tuning, then you are absolutely correct. You need a laptop or tablet running Windows to tune. However I noticed that the Megasquirt is listed as having a calibration module and I didn't think those came with any sort of handheld controller either.

Self Tuning / Auto-learning is listed as No. The current software does have a feature called "Adaptive Learn". As I understand it, the system will "learn" based on inputs, however manual adjustments may be required for proper operation.

Other Thoughts: The tuning software is available for free on their website. You can download it and see exactly what and how to edit various settings before you buy the kit. It also comes with a very comprehensive data logging program. You can look at log files that people have posted on their forum with it to give it a spin. Their forums seem to have some very attentive tech support and the person I dealt with on the phone seemed incredibly knowledgeable. I have not purchased this system, but I am seriously considering it.

On an unrelated note: Edelbrock has a brand new E-Street EFI system that I believe should be on the spreadsheet too. It's a TBI system that seems very competitive. It comes with an Andriod tablet that connects wirelessly to your ECU via Bluetooth. It can run returnless or return style fuel systems and I believe there is optional timing control. I was initially sold on this product, but the software is very limited on what it will allow you to adjust. If for any reason the software doesn't automatically adjust itself to run your engine perfectly, there is very little you will be able to about it. I believe their tech support can create a custom tune for you to download, but the parameters that you can edit on your own are very limited. Their website has a simulated tablet where you can click through the menus and decide for yourself if it will work for you.

***Editorial: I have recently had numerous problems with Edelbrock products that have caused me to question their quality control. I purchased a brand new carb with the floats and electric choke way out of adjustment and a poorly machined flange that caused massive vacuum leaks. I purchased an intake gasket that they proudly printed their name on about 50 times that blew out in under a year with less than 3K miles (properly installed). I also purchased a throttle return spring kit that turned out to be a spring and steel rectangle with a slot in one end and a hole in the other (incredibly cheaply made). And then there was the fuel pump with the inlet/outlet that was not align-able to the factory location with chrome coated threads that wouldn't accept fittings. As much as I like what they're doing with that E-Street EFI kit, I just can't bring myself to shell out the cash when their other products have been "questionable".

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. whitess

whitess Member

Sorry if this has already been covered but I have a question on the fuel line from the tank after watching the MSD Atomic videos. Do you need to use the rubber EFI fuel line from the tank fittings to the EFI filter/pump?
    Thanks, Larry.

5. tas

tas New Member

I am thinking about ditching the carb for the Holley Avenger FI system. Question I have, what size setup is best suited for my car?

I have the refreshed 70 350 with correct heads and cam, but the previous owner told me he installed 30 over dished pistons to lower the compression some. I have a Tremec 5 speed in the car now and the 3.73 gears in the 12 bolt.

Not sure if I need the:

550-400 700cfm with 65lb injectors 200hp to 400hp

550-401 900cfm with 75lb injectors 375hp to 525hp

550-402 900cfm with 85lb injectors 450hp to 600hp

Obviously I'm not making near enough power to need the big boy. But what if latter I want a bigger motor latter, or sell the car and pull the unit off for another project. Will the bigger unit work fine on the small block? But give me room to grow latter.

Or am I asking for troubles? If so, which of the smaller should I go with?

6. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good choice.

I would go with this one

7. roy powell

roy powell New Member

retro tek EFI

Old posts I know but I wanted to mention the Proff. products EFI unit
    We installed the Rtro-Tek EFI on a small block ford, I must say, the kit is very complete from braided line to every little bolt with very well written instructions.
    Briefly, we installed it on a Saturday & the little ford was up & running on Sunday morning, a few hiccups on start up, (our fault) & we took her for an hour run, you can actually feel the unit going through the "self learning" mode while you drive.
    After about 2 weeks of driving with no drama, Geff tells me he felt his fuel mileage had doubled but he was wrong, its more than doubled!
    He figures he's gone from a carb;d 9-11mpg to an average on a round trip to Peterboro (bout 250 miles) of 20-23mpg. mind you, the old Holley wasn;t well & to big for a 5.0 Ford too.(750)
    HP is up especially through the mid range where he says - I can really feel the difference in mid range power & response, its huge!
    So, I just wanted add a hurrah to Proffesional Products for a great product & serious Tech. line support, even looking at Geoff;s readouts online & fixing a cold start issueon the phone!
    For any totally ignornant EFI guys like Geoff & myself, now, as I get into this new field I;m hoping to be able to utilize all the features this new product offers, I'm not even sure what I can & can't do as of now
    Impressed enough though, to ordered the latest versionof the Prof. products EFI unit with the install kit (braided line for main & return spark control) & will be installing asap
    cheers & a great site you have here
    Roy

8. 72 pile

72 pile Veteran Member

I have been running the Holley avenger system for about 2 years now. With my 383 stroker (550hp), tremec 5 speed and 3.73 gears; I get about 18mpg on the freeway at 70 mph. Even with the a/c blasting! The only downfall is I have to replace the oxygen sensor every 6 months. I narrowed it down to my cam being too big. I run the compcams 305H 525/525 lift with 1.5's.
    Other then that I'm very pleased. I have this system on a few of my cars.

9. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Just a report on the Fast Ez on the LS3 in my 72 Camaro. I like it more every day and love the way I can tune the MSD controller independent of the Fast EZ. I started using a laptop for the ignition control and it is seamless. I can move the advance curve around anywhere I want it in a matter of minutes and the Fast EZ holds the same A/F ratio independent of the MSD.
    Im going to post up a small thread on the 72 when I get done with the final tuning to kind of show off the finished build. I am in the process of dropping a new trans in over this weekend and am planning a trip to the strip for some fun and final tuning of the advance curve .
    For this particular thread though, the Fast is working flawlessly and using the MSD 6012 to control the LS coil packs is about as easy as it gets. Its idiot proof and that comes straight from the idiot!;)

10. Zee

Zee Veteran Member

Appears Holley has finally delivered with their Terminator EFI. Anyone running it?