EFI people, what do you think?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by rocket dawg, Apr 8, 2018.

1. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Looking towards EFI
    What brand? Price?
    What intake did you use?
    What distributor are you using?
    Performance, better, same, worse?
    MPG -same, better, worse?
    Any issues?
    If you had to do it over, would you opt for a different brand over yours?
    Do you think it was worth it?
    thanks

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ive had a Fitech since beginning of last summer, Love it, totally worth it IMO

3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sniper here. Still in the learn mode with about 50 miles on it. Would never go back to a carb. If you are not drag racing it I can’t imagine a carb being as consistent as the Sniper although I would bet a quadrajet comes very close in terms of reliability.

All in with a new fuel tank around $1,500.

4. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

If you are into DIY, Megasquirt has lower cost options, but has a rather steep learning curve. Custom rigging the fuel system is often the hardest part, and the pre-built options are pricey, but much easier to get right.

The TBI options use carb intakes, and a large portion of the MPFI intakes are carb intakes with fuel injectors added on. A magazine did a comparison of some TPI intakes a while ago. http://xtremecarzone.com.au/index.php?showtopic=386

My MPG went down a little, drivability got much better, and power went up a bunch. However I went from a stock intake and a beat up edelbrock to a Stealth Ram, so it is a bit of apples to oranges comparison.

5. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

I have the FITech going on now for 2 years with no issues. Easy start and made 15hp on the dyno afterwards. I stuck with the old Holley Street Dominator dual plane intake.. And the throttle response is greatly better than my 770 street avenger I had on it.

6. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Veteran Member

FiTech here and it works pretty well, but wish I went Holley Sniper or MSD Atomic for a number of reasons, tech support and CAN bus compatibility being among them.

Overall, EFI is the way to go, you wont regret it. Just make sure you do an actual EFI tank.

7. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

So the sniper needs a different gas tank? With that I imagine a electric fuel pump inside the tank?. That isnt a deal breaker to me. Just doing my homework before hand. More ponies and no more hesitation would be nice, improved mpg would be nice too. Anyone have decent gains in that area? thanks keep the info coming, very interesting.

8. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You don't HAVE to have an actual EFI Tank, it is just the cleanest way to do the install. You do need an electric fuel pump to generate 55PSI fuel pressure. Here are the basic options that people tend to use with the Sniper or Fitech set-ups:

• Tanks Inc retro fit with new tank and in tank fuel pump.
    • External Fuel Pump that is part of an extended "kit" that both Holley and Fitech sell
    • Your own external Electric fuel pump set up.
    • RobbMCC Surge tank which allows you to keep your mechanical pump, but you install an electric pump with a reservoir (surge tank) between the Mechanical pump and the carb. (I did this). Edelbrock and Fitech sell similar units but from what I have read the RobbMCC seems to be the best option right now.

9. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am using the stock tank with ext. pump, works fine unless I am low on fuel.
    My buddy is too, with a 650 hp BB with Nitrous..

10. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

61BE8003-06FB-4DE7-8B2F-561CA7927B5C.jpeg 936E2CE8-BDC7-44D0-8B97-59CF58339402.jpeg
    RobbMc and fitech