EFI people, what do you think?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by rocket dawg, Apr 8, 2018.

1. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

So there are a few options with getting gas to the unit. Been reading the install instructions/trouble shooting at Holley website. A lot of reading.
    I currently have an MSD distributor, ( I'll have to get the part number on it ) and 6A box. i believe this works with the Sniper

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes it does. The wiring diagram is a little confusing, at least for me.

To hook it up just disconnect the tach wire from the MSD Box.
    In the large 10 wire connector:
    Connect the single purple wire on the sniper to the Tach connection on the MSD box.
    Then wire the tach wire (you just removed) to the tach wire on the Sniper (brown).
    If you have electric fans or AC you need to connect those in. I have AC and used a Relay in the circuit

In 7 wire Connector
    Pink wire to the a 12 V Ign on trigger wire.
    Red Wire direct to Battery +
    Black wire direct to Battery -
    Then there is blue wire for the fuel pump (no additional relay needed Sniper has one).

DONE!

It really is quite easy and finding a clean way to rout the wires was the hardest part for me.

3. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Have you checked out the eddy pro flow 3. Seems ideal- especially for a longblock crate engine.

Port injection and you know the throttle body, FI, and ignition play well together. (No ignition box). Bluetooth capability a big plus. On sale for same $$ it would take to buy high quality intake, throttle body EFI, and ignition.

On the negative side, you have seperate ECM that must be installed in engine compartment due to short cable.

4. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

I have the original Pro-Flow since 1998 and I push it to the max ... I upgraded to 35LB injectors. I upgraded to an adjustable Fuel Pressure regulator.

I have a 409 stroker and are 434 at the wheels; I just upgraded to AFR 220 heads so I am hoping to see my HP numbers soon. I am looking at the Proflow 3 or the HP Dominator from Holley.

5. rocket dawg

I'm looking at everything right now. But mostly at a system the replaces a carb that has the same dimensions as a carb. My Z-28 is Pontiac Trans Am with a shaker hood. ( 406 chevy powered) I'd like to keep the shaker in place. I have 1 email into Holley and was told that physically the sniper has the same shape as my holley 750 carb , My air cleaner is composed of an aftermarket drop base unit and the original ( 301 ci high performance 155 hp air cleaner) with a junk yard air cleaner all modded/weleded/trimmed to get my hood closed with the Eddy Performer RPM air gap intake. Then wrapped in a chrome spare tire ring from a conversion van. It sounds horrible but it looks quite nice on the outside. It also has the rear of the shaker opened up for fresh air. Still working on a actuator to close and open it.
    008.JPG 014.JPG

6. rocket dawg

Actually those pictures are a few years old. It now has a "Heartbeat of America Chevrolet" decal on it and a Pontiac We Build Excitement" decal on it. I'll 003.JPG get some pictures

7. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Nice Bird!

Yep there are two major disadvantages to the eddy pro-flow:

1) the RMP air gap is a great looker and performer, and it’s .1” shorter than the summit intake that was installed on my 355. The RPM air gap will work with my drop-down dual snorkel and the factory hood. The pro flow will work height-wise but the fuel rails may interfere with dual snorkel...

2) the sniper stealth is supposed to be = form/ fit to a Holley dual feed.

So the Holley is more $$ but less risk on the mechanical dimensions side and better from a customer service/ business longevity perspective. Also, more diagnostics, e-knobs and switches (via laptop) with Holley.

I suspect the Holley might be well worth the additional investment in the end.

Just hard to resist the pro flow knowing you’ve got functional and effective interplay between Fuel delivery and ignition (without box).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  8. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Holley has a system that goes in the factory tank without any modifications. It does 255 LPH and doesn't require a return line. More expensive than the Tanks Inc. solution, but no tank cutting required. It's on my shopping list already.

9. dailycruiser81

dailycruiser81 Veteran Member

Fitech here also. Went with tanks inc fuel tank. Will never go back to a carburetor

10. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

That Holley fuel pump looks like an ideal solution for maintaining originality, and they offer one for 2nd gen (and firebird/ TA). Price is already starting to come down ;). It’ll have to if you can buy a brand new tank/ and high quality pump from a competitor for same $$.