EFI screenshot of TPI running

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by kik_start, Dec 20, 2008.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

To answer your question in your e-mail...

It's open loop at WOT, but techincally it's referred to as power enrichment (PE) mode. ECM ignores the O2 sensor in open loop and you pre-program what AFR you want in this mode (as well as in cold start mode).

You can control when PE occurs based on coolant temp, MAP, and TPS. Factory is pretty conservative about it (no PE until pedal-to-the-metal) and then AFR shoots down to 11.5:1 (way too rich for max power). On mine, I have it coming in at about 60% throttle and AFR set to about 13.0:1. We can work this later after we establish a good normal operational baseline.

EDIT: BTW, your chip guy didn't even touch your PE tables. They're bone stock. My hunch is you have a significant amount of torque to be gained later by tweaking these tables (I picked up a bunch going from 12:1 to 13:1).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Your data looks pretty good now. BLM cell is now varying nicely (no longer stuck in cell 4). ECM knows you're moving now.

Though, yes the BLMs are too low. Once we iron out the code 41 thing, we can start over bringing the VE tables in line.

3. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

So should I scratch that last bin since my VSS is working now?

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

You can. IT was only a quick test. But it's moot now that your VSS is working.

One problem down, one to go! :D :confused: :shy: ;)

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just an FYI in case it helps......Those diagrams are also in the TPI swappers guide.

6. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

I called Craig and we went through the burn process and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right...:) He and I come to the conclusion there could be something wrong with the G1 adapter...he wants me to look at the pins where the ZIF plugs into it and make sure there isn't one that got bent or something...

Craig also suggested that I burn a chip using the G1 adapter then verify the burn...
    I won't be able to do it till after work and my son gets home from school...(he took it this morning).

7. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

On a project as big as EFI conversion, there has to be at least one head scratcher...

I'll tell you what though... I'm SOOOOO glad you went with a Painless Harness and not that rats nest that other guy gave you. This is exactly why I was prodding you to buy a new harness. Holy cow, could you imagine trying to diagnose this thing knowing what shape that other harness was in?? I shudder to think about it... :eek:

8. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

It'd didn't take me long to decide...and I'm SOOOOO glad too!

The Painless harness is...well painless.

edit: hey that reminds me...I never got my 50.00 dollar rebate from them yet...I guess I'll give them a call. LOL

9. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Just about to burn this thing in the back yard...

I tried it again tonight and still get the same results... I can program the new chip with the stock bin file...verify it to be a success through TunerPro, install it into the ECU get code 41 and run like crap. I put the stock memcal in there is no code and runs smooth on start but gets worse.
    Program new chip with new bin runs better but code 41...

I think I'll walk away from it for a week...or two...maybe a month or two..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

John, it seems to be coming down to those Moates chips. Not sure what the deal is with them, since again, I've never used them before.

All I know is I've been successful using 27C256 EPROMs with a UV eraser.

You're almost there, man. Just have to get past this annoying little problem. ;)