EFI screenshot of TPI running

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by kik_start, Dec 20, 2008.

1. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

I posted in the WTB section looking for another memcal. I guess it can't hurt to try.
    When Craig and I were on the phone, he said the one I have is for a V8 if I remember correctly.

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Also post your dilema in DIY PROM section and see if any of them have an extra memcal.

Not sure how Craig would know what memcal you have. The chip he sent you he'd know, but the rest of the memcal from your chip guy? Not so sure.

3. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

will an AWLD work Mike?

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

John, unfortunately no.

I did a search and it's for a 1992 chevy van 350 K TBI. I believe it needs to be from a TPI car.

EDIT: I saw your WTB and DIY PROM threads and clarified it there as well.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  5. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Mike, how do we know for sure that I don't already have the correct memcal?

Does it show what it is in TunerPro? Where is the broadcast code?

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

John, as far as I know, it's not a software issue- meaning you wouldn't be able to detect it in Tunerpro. It's a hardware issue. The other hardware on the other end of the memcal is what determines it.

As far as broadcast code, you can see what the PROM ID is in the Constants table in the calibration. But that would only tell you what calibration your chip guy started with (if he started with a factory calibration). Looking at http://www.chevythunder.com/prom_bcc_1990.htm, there's a PROM Code associated with each broadcast code. So if you see, for instance a PROM ID of 2500, that would tell you he started with a ASNH calibration. But again, that wouldn't mean that the rest of the memcal is from a ASNH vehicle, only that he burned the re-burned PROM portion of the memcal of whatever vehicle it came out of. Like I said earlier, you can physically put a V8 calibration on a V6 memcal; it would run but you'd end up with error codes like the 41 you're getting.

What I'd do is post up in the DIY PROM section of thirdgen.org and ask this same question. There are experts there that should be able to tell you for sure how (or if) you can differentiate between memcals by looking at it or reading it in Tunerpro.

7. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Mike, if I buy another chip from someone that says it's one of these...how can I tell it is actually one of these? make sense? I hope because I'm confused...lol

I do understand that a V8 program can be burned on the prom in the memcal...and it still be a V6...

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

If it's a box-stock factory memcal, it'll have a sticker on top of the PROM chip (visible through the blue memcal cover) with the broadcast code on it. Unless the guy switched stickers (which would suck), that would be the tell tale signature.

9. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Man, what an ordeal that was. Now we can finally get down to the business of tuning. :D