EFI screenshot of TPI running

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by kik_start, Dec 20, 2008.

1. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

I'm loading the file #5 and going to do a road test...I feel like this one is closest to 128 BLM while driving (i think it was a little lean) but at idle it was reading 108 BLM. I changed it so it will read what the actual is so i know how low it's going.

I'm going to run it here in a few...

OH, BTW...the surging seemed to stop on the cold start this morning. :confused: Do you think the memcal could cause that?

2. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Mike, I did some data logging in idle getting ready for the road trip...the BLM was reading 160 and the INT is reading in the 150 range....doesn't that mean it's running real lean?

Should I just start over with the original bin? I think you were right...there's no way to tune it with the incorrect memcal. The readings were exactly opposite before...

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

John, yes start over. My last calibrations were worthless. Looks like the memcal change has you running int he completely opposite direction.

BTW, you probably want to let your chip guy know what happened. It'll help him be more careful in the future with other customers. If I were him, I'd cut you a break on the price for the trouble you went through attempting to diagnose his mistake (but that's me).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  4. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

I figure I'll give him a call now the problem is solved...;)

5. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Mike, good/better results!

I'm sending you the adl files...

one in park at idle
    one in drive at idle
    and the last at 60+ mph

Seemed like the idle BLM was higher after the road trip, it was in the 140+ range sitting at the stop light...

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

John,

This data looks great. Is this the factory AUJP? Or is this the calibration from your chip guy?

Your idle BLM is at 134 in park, which is slightly lean. ECM is easily correcting for it, so it only means that your VE table needs an ever-so-slight tweak in that vicinity of the VE table. It helps in the off idle transition to have 128 BLM so that the ECM isn't making as much of a swing in AFR.

What I would do is go into your lower VE table and pick out the cell for 700 rpm and 40 kPa. Then scale that cell value by the ratio of 134/128 = 1.04. Then you just smooth/blend in the surrounding cells.

What I'd like to see next is some acceleration data.

1.) Going from a stand still to moving under normal acceleraton (10-20% throttle)

2.) Going from a stand still to moving under moderate acceleration (50% throttle)

3.) Going from a stand still to moving at WOT

On 1 - 3 I'm really looking to see your off idle transition so as to check the accelerator enrichment settings. How does it feel right now? Any hesitations?

4.) Cruising at normal speed (say 45 mph) and then going WOT getting it to downshift into a lower gear.

On 4, I want to see your commanded AFR.

EDIT: I just saw your edit. LEt's adjust for the 134 BLM and see where we end up. We may have to make another iteration (which is typical in tuning land). I'll e-mail you a new calibration too so you can see what I did.

7. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

this is running on the very first bin you sent to me...(I think it is the original that come with the kit)
    I wanted it because of the basic corrections like injector and cylinder volume were changed.

I tried the second and it seemed a little worse.

The engine runs smooth...no hesitation at all. The acceleration isn't what I feel it should be...(but I like drag racing so it's probably good for a 4x4 LOL).

I'll start changing some things as suggested to see if/how it effects anything.

I did notice that when I got into the throttle hard at 60 mph, the BLM went down below 118...I think it went down to like 110 or lower, I need my son to go along next time.

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Ok, I just sent you a new calibration. Take a look at the region I was describing vs the original one I sent you. You can see what I did. Changes were pretty minor.

Use this new one to run the tests I mentioned above. BTW, take advantage of today because I'm at home in the garage with nothing else to do. :confused:

I notice that the current calibration has you at ~12.0:1 AFR when I look at the bin file. That's probably too rich for your setup. I'm running ~12.8:1. After you run the tests above, I want to see how the commanded AFR corresponds to what I'm seeing in the calibration.

[​IMG]

9. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Mike

Does timing at idle seem high? I was looking at it and it's anywhere from 17+ in park and goes up to over 20 in drive at idle. The timing is 37+ at highway speeds, I figured the timing for my cam would like less timing...???

10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

John, I'm not seeing knock counts increasing. The file you sent me started out with 3 counts but didn't increase. I'm actually running 25° at idle (and so are factory LT1's and LT4's with 11:1 compression)

Overall, I think you're fine on the closed throttle spark timing and light throttle timing. Once you start getting into acceleration, set your tunerpro dashboard to observe knock counts and knock retard and see what you get.