EGR Valve

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Z28SSRS, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

In taking my 1978 Z28 Camaro in for its biannual smog certification I found out that it failed because the EGR valve was non-operable. I read some past threads on here regarding EGR valves which were very helpful in explaining what an EGR valve does, how it works, etc. I am still confused though on exactly which EGR valve I need to replace my old bad one. As mentioned my car is a 1978 Z28 with auto trans and California emissions. Is the correct EGR valve for my car a positive or negative back pressure one? Is 17052714 the correct part number? Does it really matter which EGR valve I use as long as it fits and operates? Thanks guys for your input.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Your local auto parts stores should be able to look up the correct EGR valve for your car and sell you one. I would start there.

3. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Or just look it up and order from RockAuto.

4. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

I wrote a question on the EGR valve on another post. I guess I was on the wrong forum. My question is...Was there one on stock 78-81 z28? Was it used as a catalyser? How does it affect performance? I dont think I have one. Did anyone keep theirs on? Why would you take it off? Is it located on the manifold?

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Rock Auto lists one for a 78 Camaro (350 engine) automatic transmission with California emissions as #17056496.

6. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

Thanks guys for your answers. I'll start with my local auto parts stores and check with Rock Auto too.

7. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

As far as I know every 78-81 Camaro would have come from the factory with one. It lowered the nitrous oxide emissions, a key component of smog by introducing under certain loads and vacuum already burnt exhaust gases into the combustion chambers to lower the heat level. I don't think they affected performance at all when they were operating correctly. Here in California you have to have an operating one installed to pass the every 2 year smog checks if your car is 1976 or newer. I know of guys who took theirs off and used a block off plate in place of the removed EGR valve; of course the vacuum line to the EGR valve would have to be blocked too. It is located on the manifold on the passenger side sort of near the right rear of the carburetor.

8. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Ahh thanks for the response! Its more clear. I have the performer intake now and on the summit racing web page it writes that there is no EGR valve. I guess that's that!