Electrical Problem with DD

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 68400BIRD, Oct 1, 2014.

1. bfendick

bfendick Veteran Member

GM dealers have a FOB tester that they can use for free, even the GM parts guys can use it as it is idiot prove, do that before anything else. The BCM is under the parcel shelf and out in seconds, you could try a used one from an auto recycler pretty cheap.

2. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

bfendick, Thanks I will check into getting the fobs checked out. I just called and you are correct. They will check them for free.

3. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

Checking the fobs is obviously a good first step since it's free but if they're good I still wouldn't jump to the BCM as being the issue. It's possible that there's a sensor that's lying to the BCM that makes it think that it shouldn't allow a remote start or lock. This seems to me to be a time when paying someone with the right tools and knowledge to diagnose the system would be well worth it.

4. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

I have no problem paying someone to diagnose the problem. I just like trying to figure this stuff out myself. LOL I have never brought a car in to a dealer for a repair in my life unless it was under warranty. I have always fixed it myself. I'm getting close to just bringing this one in.

5. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Had a chance to stop by the dealer yesterday. Checked out the key fobs. They all checked out partially bad. One did not work at all. The other two worked for unlocking and trunk release. The lock did not work on any of them which then will not let the auto start work. The trunk release worked on both of them. So, the key fob buttons that worked on their machine will sometimes work on my car but not all of the time. I think my next step is to get a new fob. They are booked out for one week due to recalls so I have to wait a while.

6. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

My oh my what did we do before electronics ??? :eek:

Used a key to lock and unlock the doors and trunk. And if we wanted to start the car we went outside or in the garage and started the car. ;)

Anyone else remember those days ?

7. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

I for one can't stand all of the electronics that come standard on a car now days.

I have been using the key to unlock the doors for the last few weeks. Its faster than using the fob.
    The trunk does not have a key it has to be opened with the fob or the switch on the door panel.
    The dealer was so backed up with recall that they could not fit me in until next week. I then asked about fixing me recall on my car and they said mid November. I guess my key can fall out of the ignition leaving me with no power steering.

8. dirtplay1975

dirtplay1975 Veteran Member

Here is a suggestion that might just fix your problem for free. Check and clean battery connections, ground connections to block, body etc. A bad connection now days will do weird things since the bcm's alot of time go off of a frequency of current to read. At my last job a good customer and i about went nuts trying to think of a solution to his wife's car's problem. Everytime they put it in reverse the trunk would pop. Well he found it by accident took batt cable off and was some corrosion so he cleaned it and presto no more problems

9. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Gramps/Knuckle Dragger Thanks to both of you for your time and help.
    Gramps gave me a part number to a new fob and OBD connector to learn the new fob. I was hesitant at first because I did not want a generic fob.
    The fob is exact to my old one. I programmed it in this afternoon and now everything works again. Thanks to everyone who posted with ideas.

10. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

No problem, anytime! I really appreciated the phone call this morning as well, a thank you goes along ways and good to see some people feel the same way I do!